Can you decide which baby chicks are roosters or hens?

MarvtheTurkey

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
I have 5 adorable baby chicks that hatched today. I'm waiting on 2 more to hatch. But I was wandering if there was any way you could decide the sex of the baby chick. Or do you just have to wait and see?
jumpy.gif

welcome from Missouri! it depends on the breed of chick and we would need pics and it usually takes a few weeks before we can "take a reliable guess"
wink.png

I came out with two rosters and 6 hens with what i got to start my flook. Can 2 roosters live together. One has all ready showed he is going to be number 1 even that he is not the biggest.

Last edited:
You're gonna have to wait longer to tell the gender or get an expert to check it's vent
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=522534

check
out this thread, people have different opinions on who should sex a chick, but here are pics, you can do it if careful...some breeds you can tell at hatching time by color, or you can wait and see how feathers and combs develop....I myself and hopefully getting 3 more chicks today to add to my flock, and I fully plan on checking them myself...with the utmost care!

my friend can tell by the color they are when they hatch, but that would be breed specific and I'm too new to this to know. I betcha there's something online... there always is!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom