Can you feed chooks milk straight from the cow shed???

cheekychick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Waioneke NZ
I live on a dairy farm and I am hand raising 3 orphaned lambs at the moment, to whom I feed milk straight from the cow shed. As I am always bringing home surplus milk incase of spillages etc while filling the bottles, I was wondering if I could feed the rest to the chooks. I can only give my cat & dogs a certain amount before they will burst
tongue.png

Clabber, verb - turn into curds; curdle

I used to use rennet tablets in warm raw milk to encourage it to curdle. I bet you can find them in New Zealand.

The rennet and 8 or 10 hours in a shallow pan at room temperature, would turn the milk into something "like" cottage cheese. (You've got to do a little slicing, gentle stirring, and pour off the whey.) And, speaking of "like" - the chickens really did. Like it, that is
smile.png

Steve

As a kid we gave extra milk (straight from the cow) to our chickens all of the time. I never saw it hurt any of them.

Raw milk can be fed to chickens. Mine prefer it clabbered. I do give them the whey from cheese making too. Most of it these days goes to the pigs who love it even more.

Here's what the poultry scientists say : "Chickens do not possess the necessary enzymes to efficiently hydrolyze lactose into glucose and galactose."

So in other words, they are lactose intolerant.

If they are provided with the micro-organisms that are found in cultured milk products, chickens can apparently make use of the lactose. In fact, providing them with these "probiotics" has been researched as a way to prevent chicken diseases.

I don't know how many beneficial micro-organisms I was getting into the raw milk by leaving it at room temperature (under a dish towel) for a day but probably quite a few. Actually making cheese should completely culture the milk or any byproduct with the beneficial "bugs." All that should be of help to the chickens.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom