Can you help ID these 10 week old Ameraucanas?

I Dream 0f Chickens *U*

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Broussard, LA
I ordered Ameraucana eggs last Spring from Chicken Scratch Poultry (they are from the William Morrow line.) We hatched them in DD's class last year (3 of the 9 hatched.) They are 10 weeks old now. I have my doubts about these two, their combs are bigger than the other chick that hatched. No one has cock-a-doodle dooed yet. What do you think?

Of course the cross-beaked one is the friendliest!
57979_cross_1.jpg

Also the cross-beaked one:
57979_cross2.jpg

Suspect #2
57979_suspect_2-1.jpg

Suspect#2
57979_suspect_2-2.jpg

edited to add breeder (and this notice)

Last edited:
Erin~TheChickenLover :

Suspect #1 has some big curled tail feathers...a big red comb too! Hmmm...EE are hard to tell, but if one of those two is a rooster, I would guess the roo would be #1

Those are actual, purebred Ameraucanas. Chicken Scratch Poultry is a breeder who sells purebreds, not EEs. They also work with rumpless, tufted araucanas.​

In all fairness, I did edit my post to add where the eggs came from after Erin referred to them as EEs; I know the EE vs. Ameraucana topic can get pretty heated.

Do you have a guess, Stacykins?

Could my cross-beaked cutie be a pullet? I've had my doubts about him/her from the beginning. I can't keep a roo so i would have to find a home for "him" where he wouldn't end up in the oven! Maybe the zoo would take a special needs cockerel for their petting zoo.

We don't really have any feeding problems, yet, but that one is ALWAYS first to the feed.

I Dream 0f Chickens *Ü* :

In all fairness, I did edit my post to add where the eggs came from after Erin referred to them as EEs; I know the EE vs. Ameraucana topic can get pretty heated.

Do you have a guess, Stacykins?

Could my cross-beaked cutie be a pullet? I've had my doubts about him/her from the beginning. I can't keep a roo so i would have to find a home for "him" where he wouldn't end up in the oven! Maybe the zoo would take a special needs cockerel for their petting zoo.

We don't really have any feeding problems, yet, but that one is ALWAYS first to the feed.

Unfortunately I have to agree that he's a he. Your idea is a very good one actually. Ameraucanas are such striking birds that I can't imagine the zoo not wanting him.

The only cautionary word I have is to tell whoever you give him to that his crossbeak disqualifies him for any breeding whatsoever; and not just for show reasons. Crossbeak is usually a genetically carried deformity that becomes fatal within just a couple of generations. But then again, I can't see a zoo caring much about starting a chicken breeding program
tongue.png

The first most definitely is a cockerel. It always seems that the best and sweetest ones are ones you can't keep!
sad.png

I'm not too sure about the second... So I'll reserve my opinion.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom