1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you help ID these 10 week old Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by I Dream 0f Chickens *U*, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I Dream 0f Chickens *U*

I Dream 0f Chickens *U* Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Broussard, LA
    I ordered Ameraucana eggs last Spring from Chicken Scratch Poultry (they are from the William Morrow line.) We hatched them in DD's class last year (3 of the 9 hatched.) They are 10 weeks old now. I have my doubts about these two, their combs are bigger than the other chick that hatched. No one has cock-a-doodle dooed yet. What do you think?

Of course the cross-beaked one is the friendliest!
    [​IMG]

Also the cross-beaked one:
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2
    [​IMG]

Suspect#2
    [​IMG]

edited to add breeder (and this notice)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Suspect #1 has some big curled tail feathers...a big red comb too! Hmmm...EE are hard to tell, but if one of those two is a rooster, I would guess the roo would be #1

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

Suspect #1 has some big curled tail feathers...a big red comb too! Hmmm...EE are hard to tell, but if one of those two is a rooster, I would guess the roo would be #1

Those are actual, purebred Ameraucanas. Chicken Scratch Poultry is a breeder who sells purebreds, not EEs. They also work with rumpless, tufted araucanas.​

4. I Dream 0f Chickens *U*

May 18, 2010
    Broussard, LA
    In all fairness, I did edit my post to add where the eggs came from after Erin referred to them as EEs; I know the EE vs. Ameraucana topic can get pretty heated.

Do you have a guess, Stacykins?

Could my cross-beaked cutie be a pullet? I've had my doubts about him/her from the beginning. I can't keep a roo so i would have to find a home for "him" where he wouldn't end up in the oven! Maybe the zoo would take a special needs cockerel for their petting zoo.

We don't really have any feeding problems, yet, but that one is ALWAYS first to the feed.

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The crossbeak is definitly a rooster, no doubts about that one. The second bird is a pullet.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I Dream 0f Chickens *Ü* :

In all fairness, I did edit my post to add where the eggs came from after Erin referred to them as EEs; I know the EE vs. Ameraucana topic can get pretty heated.

Do you have a guess, Stacykins?

Could my cross-beaked cutie be a pullet? I've had my doubts about him/her from the beginning. I can't keep a roo so i would have to find a home for "him" where he wouldn't end up in the oven! Maybe the zoo would take a special needs cockerel for their petting zoo.

We don't really have any feeding problems, yet, but that one is ALWAYS first to the feed.

Unfortunately I have to agree that he's a he. Your idea is a very good one actually. Ameraucanas are such striking birds that I can't imagine the zoo not wanting him.

The only cautionary word I have is to tell whoever you give him to that his crossbeak disqualifies him for any breeding whatsoever; and not just for show reasons. Crossbeak is usually a genetically carried deformity that becomes fatal within just a couple of generations. But then again, I can't see a zoo caring much about starting a chicken breeding program [​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    The first most definitely is a cockerel. It always seems that the best and sweetest ones are ones you can't keep! [​IMG]

I'm not too sure about the second... So I'll reserve my opinion. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. I Dream 0f Chickens *U*

May 18, 2010
    Broussard, LA
    Ok, so aside from waiting for a cock-a-doodle do or an egg coming out, when can I tell for sure what Suspect #2 is? Where do spurs grow in and when? What else can I look for?

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I agree that the first looks like a cockerel and the second looks like a pullet.

10. I Dream 0f Chickens *U*

May 18, 2010
    Broussard, LA
    What about spurs? Should they be coming out by now? Would they be obvious?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by