Can you help me figure out what is getting me chicks? PIC HEAVY!

Get a cage and bait it with some fried chicken . farm and home, or tsc have coon and small animal traps I got 2 coons last week
big_smile.png
I set the trap again tonight. However if you don't have the concrete floor , you really need to run 1x1 or 1/2 x1/2 wire min 1 ft deep around primiter of run / coop . Just saying it's worth it's weight in gold! When it comes to stoping the nasty digging predators .

Quote:
A fairly large raccoon will try to go through a 3-4" hole I have watched a 15-18 pound coon go into a barn through a 4 1/2" hole it is like they are made of jelly when you see them do this they kina just shake back and forth a time or two and they are in

Last edited:
Well it is a raccoon! I went out this morning, there where four new holes dug, and some lovely little foot prints. Now we have to get rid of it, we are going to go look at traps today.

Thanks Everyone!

So sorry for your loss. Glad you found out what it was. My thinking at the beginning was a coon, as well. Goodluck!

Be ready for that coon's relatives to come to the funeral when you get him. Have you determined his entry point? You might want to keep the trap operational at that spot for a while till you control the problem

I figured that was what it was. 90% of the predator problems I see with chickens involve nightime visits from raccoons. When it is hot, sweet baits work the best, but just about anything will work. On a side note, in order to legally trap raccoons this time of year you must get a depredation permit in NC. Even if it is on your own property! You can shoot them all you want, but trapping this time of year requires a permit. Now, having said that you can do what you want as long as you don't get caught. I know what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom