QuailKeeperz

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
Hi! So I am new to keeping quails, and hatched 1 button quail out of a group of 10 and bought 3, 1 day old japanese quail. Ive heard these together can not get along but so far they are doing well.

I was looking at enrichment for them, sand baths etc and was wondering what age is best for them to have them? Ive read around 2 weeks old is best for sand baths, but saw dust and stuff for their flooring is better to wait till adulthood as they may eat it.

Secondly, what is the best food for them? Currently my chicks are on just normal chickcrumb, but ive read as they get older they need a high protein diet as was wondering what is best. Also treats, I know all birds are different but what treats/snack items have worked best with yours? And when is best to introduce them to other things such as lettuce and rice etc as treats as ive read they are quite good.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated that you think I would need to know. Thank you for any help!

right now I would recommend a high protein game bird starter, between 25 and 30 percent protein. also, if your brooder is smooth, then you should get wood shavings, or, if you are that worried about them, a towel. this is because walking on smooth floors can negatively impact their leg bones.

right now I would recommend a high protein game bird starter, between 25 and 30 percent protein. also, if your brooder is smooth, then you should get wood shavings, or, if you are that worried about them, a towel. this is because walking on smooth floors can negatively impact their leg bones.
Ahh ok currently their on a matt that we have used for chickens in the past to stop their legs splaying im assuming this is the same case?

Your buttons and coturnix (Japanese) may be getting along for now, but plan on separate housing for them. Your coturnix will be 4-6x the size of your buttons and can be aggressive.

Unless you are lucky enough to be blessed with all hens, your ratios for your coturnix are going to be off. One male needs at LEAST three hens, preferably five.

Your button quail is going to need a companion. Luckily, buttons get along in pairs and same gender pairs will also get along.

Your chicks need game bird starter. Chicken starter will not give them the nutrition they need in order to grow and thrive. They may even die if that is all you are feeding them.

Here are a couple resources for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-to-feed-your-quail.79205/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/

Your buttons and coturnix (Japanese) may be getting along for now, but plan on separate housing for them. Your coturnix will be 4-6x the size of your buttons and can be aggressive.

Unless you are lucky enough to be blessed with all hens, your ratios for your coturnix are going to be off. One male needs at LEAST three hens, preferably five.

Your button quail is going to need a companion. Luckily, buttons get along in pairs and same gender pairs will also get along.

Your chicks need game bird starter. Chicken starter will not give them the nutrition they need in order to grow and thrive. They may even die if that is all you are feeding them.

Here are a couple resources for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-to-feed-your-quail.79205/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/
Ok thank you so much!

So we are now debating if he is a button quail. If I send a photo of the egg he hatched from will someone be able to tell me if he is a Cortunix or a Button? As he came from a friend that didnt want the eggs so we hatched them instead and now I beleive he actually could be a Cortunix as I feel like if he was a button their would already be a size difference, and looking online at button quail eggs I havent found a definitive answer so would love someone with knowledge on here to help!

Attachments

• Quail Egg.jpg
    Quail Egg.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 3
So we are now debating if he is a button quail. If I send a photo of the egg he hatched from will someone be able to tell me if he is a Cortunix or a Button? As he came from a friend that didnt want the eggs so we hatched them instead and now I beleive he actually could be a Cortunix as I feel like if he was a button their would already be a size difference, and looking online at button quail eggs I havent found a definitive answer so would love someone with knowledge on here to help!
That's a coturnix egg. Button quail are about the size of a dime when they hatch. They are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom