can you help me ID my fruit trees? very pic heavy

1st one is an apple, looks like a Delicious-related variety to me. They have that sort of conic shape. The newer apple varieties have smoother bark, it's the old-fashioned ones (or new ones that use a lot of old-fashioned genetics) that are rougher and twiggier. A lot of American varieties are smooth-barked, while the European varieties have more old pearmains in their genetics.

2 - Agree w/ Mahonri, Rainier cherry

3 - Bartlett or D'Anjou pear, not sure which.

4 - Don't know what kind of cherry, you will have to wait and see

5 - Also some sort of pear but won't be able to tell what kind until they get ripe.

6 - Definitely apple, can't tell until riper.

*raises hand*
big_smile.png

I recind my first guess and agree its apple... older as the others have stated. I had to go look at our 100 year old apple tree late yesterday and its not smooth. DUH.. dont know where my head was - forgot about the old apples!
hmm.png
Was thinking of my new apple trees, which as Rosalind stated, are smooth.

I've never seen apples that shape though - weird.... are they deformed or do they really grow that way? Could they be crab apples or those little japanese ones? (cant think of the names of them...)

Thanks Mahonri and Rosalind
hugs.gif

I can't give any info on what kinds you have but I am very jealous! I only have three very young trees on my property. Our apple is doing great, but our plum only has two fruit and our nectarine has none! I would love to have cherries or pears. Maybe someday...

Quote:
Nope, they just grow that way. Red Delicious especially come out sort of rectangular sometimes, although there are other varieties (Sheepnose, Kandil Sinap) that are also especially boxy or elongated.

wow so much info. thank you so much.
i am gonna try to find a nursery close
by and see if they can help as well.

update-
cherries are very dark and sweet now.
they taste like bing to me but i am no
expert. we spent about 2.5 hrs picking
them today. gonna make some jam today
big_smile.png

I don't have any valid guesses, as the family fruit tree expert isn't here right now, lol.

Quote:
But I wanted to say; Henny, what your discribing is NOT poison ivy. I think your confused with Virginia Creeper, which many people mistake for poison ivy. Poison ivy prefers the ground and grows shoots that basically crawls underground.. think strawberries kind of.

Anyway, here is what Virginia Creeper looks like; http://www.flickr.com/photos/21861018@N00/534618394

Back
Top Bottom