can you help me sex these young silkies

MM Hen House

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
could you please give me your option on these young silkies, sex they are approx. 6-7 months old.
I think from reading all the great treads and comparing pictures that 2 of 4 may be young roos

I'm thinking Roo? Mulberry color wattles & comb and treads of feathers on head??

I'm thinking Roo?? cause of the treads of feathers on top of head and also has wattles (cant see well in photo) and lg. comb

Maybe a hen? cause the round top head? no wattles, barely no comb

Hen no wattles no comb fluffy round puffy head??

group pic.

I do have other pics if need to see more to help me in this. Thank you
D.gif

Thanks so much for the quick response
My thoughts as well hoping maybe I get at least two hens out of the deal. Already have a beautiful Bantam rooster

6-7 MONTHS old? They do not look at all like silkie roosters - unless they are incredibly slow to develop. All look like pullets to me. Here is a picture of my 6-7 month old rooster, Percy:

Notice Percy's massive wattles and comb, his long streamers and hackle feathers and his large size. These are male characteristics which none of your birds have. Additionally, he started crowing about a month ago (he is wearing his green rooster collar in these pictures which help quieten the crow). I have had silkies crow as young as 4 months.

And here are pictures of my 6-7 months old pullets:

Notice the small wattles and combs and the small, rounder pom pom shaped crests without streamers or hackles.

See the difference?

thanks for all the info but I'm still torn on the sex,
but until this morning one silkies (white one with blk running through) did show signs he was a Roo calling to others with that cute little food call and then fanning around in the happy dance.
yippiechickie.gif

I'am going to post more up close pics of them all

Those last two pictures do look like roos. It was not possible to see those combs and wattles in your other pictures. Their crests and hackles seem quite underdeveloped for their age, are you sure they are 6-7 months old?

Back
Top Bottom