CAN YOU HELP ME?

Attachments

• 17023519250254174588944811474176.jpg
    17023519250254174588944811474176.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 20
I want to say it is a pullet, but I cannot clearly make out the saddle feathers. 🧐 Also, that bright yellow chick looks like a Peep candy! 😂❤️
both of my chickens are dyed chicks i buy them to serve as rescuing those chicks but i can only buy this for now because i am only a high school student

😊that looks like a male to me, I have had roosters with combs that flop due to the size of the comb.
can you help me identifying what is my chicken's gender? my chicken is a white leghorn and i think he/she is about 4 months like that. I already have a post here for like a month ago and there is a one guy saying it's hard to identify because of the feathers are not fully grown yet. Hope you can help me

I have an old leghorn hen (laying eggs) that looks exactly like yours, with a big flopping crest and decent wattles (not so big, but the crest, yep a female can have this). The lack of spurs would be suspicious, but if is really 4 Months old, seem too much young for all that red in the head

If is a male will start to sing soon

This chicken looks exactly like my Wacky Whitey with huge comb and wattles. She had a comb which drooped to the right side and her sister's comb drooped to the left so of course we called her Left, but I digress.

I don't see male saddle feathers at all (see eggsighted4life's excellent photos of saddle feathers).

I also don't see the male tail feathers, known as sickle feathers (see Chookwagon for great pictures of a rooster with sickle feathers and two hens without those feathers). Sickles are another dead giveaway and they start to develop early as well. It's pretty obvious when those two top outside feathers start popping further out than the other tail feathers.

This photo is almost impossible to see hackle feathers but that's another dead giveaway for a rooster.

Wodia has a great picture of Puddle that shows the sickle, saddle, and hackle feathers very nicely.

Last is crowing. That can start as early as 2 months or as late as 5 or 6 months. Some of my earliest crowers were little guys that started out as a short choking sound. That had me stalking my chickens for the longest time trying to figure out which of my chicks was in need of rescue.

My guess would be a strong vote for female but as we all know - only the egg can tell. I speak from experience because I was given a leghorn who looked like a small young male with large comb and wattles and who crowed nonstop and loudly. I had him for about 2 or 3 months and finally gave him to a friend of mine because I don't like to subject my neighbors to an obsessive crowers. Four months later he started laying eggs like a machine! And SHE never did give up that crow.

So don't give up. Look for the feathers but wait for that egg!

This photo is almost impossible to see hackle feathers but that's another dead giveaway for a rooster.
All chickens have hackle feathers. The shape of them, however, is up to the gender. Males will have pointed hackles, meanwhile a female will possess rounded hackles.

Last is crowing. That can start as early as 2 months or as late as 5 or 6 months. Some of my earliest crowers were little guys that started out as a short choking sound. That had me stalking my chickens for the longest time trying to figure out which of my chicks was in need of rescue.
That isn't the earliest time or latest time. The earliest I have seen a cockerel crow is two weeks old. However, a male chicken can take many months-sometimes even years, on the rare occasion-to crow. Males that are low on the dominance hierarchy and often bullied by other males possibly will never crow in their lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom