can you help me

mimithewhiteLEGHORN

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2023
my chicken ate small amount of chocolate, what will happen to him??😭😭😭 i saw on the internet that he can die within 24 hours but he only ate small amount will it still happen?

If it is really a tiny bit I think it will be OK. There are really only scientific studies on lethal dose in cats and dogs but several parrot forums say it takes 100g to kill a parrot. That is a lot of chocolate!
Unfortunately there is also a documented case of a much lower fatal dose (20g).
Milk chocolate is less toxic than plain chocolate.

The only practical home treatment I can see is activated charcoal - which is a good thing to have on hand for all kinds of poisoning. You can get it as pills in the pharmacy. Just pop 1-2 into the chicken’s beak.

If your chicken has survived 24 hours after eating it you are in the clear.

And if you can get a guess of how much chocolate and how big the chicken you may not need to worry anyway.

Last edited:
If it is really a tiny bit I think it will be OK. There are really only scientific studies on lethal dose in cats and dogs but several parrot forums say it takes 100g to kill a parrot. That is a lot of chocolate!

The only practical home treatment I can see is activated charcoal - which is a good thing to have on hand for all kinds of poisoning. You can get it as pills in the pharmacy. Just pop 1-2 into the chicken’s beak.

And if you can get a guess of how much chocolate and how big the chicken you may not need to worry anyway.
im really worried right now i just lost my 7 weeks old chick I don't want to lose him too☹️☹️😭😭😭😭

im really worried right now i just lost my 7 weeks old chick I don't want to lose him too☹️☹️😭😭😭😭
I think he will be fine. I always heard how chocolate would kill a dog if it ate it and mine got ahold of a whole container of chocolate and was just fine. It was a small dog too. I think it takes quite a bit to hurt any animal and just a peck should not do anything harmful to it.

I think he will be fine. I always heard how chocolate would kill a dog if it ate it and mine got ahold of a whole container of chocolate and was just fine. It was a small dog too. I think it takes quite a bit to hurt any animal and just a peck should not do anything harmful to it.
i hope so, thank you so much it helps me relax for a bit

THANK YOU SO MUCH TOO FOR HELPING ME🥺🥺

just now, he just ate one pick and he's 4 months old 5 months in 20
Sorry - I don't understand what you mean by one pick?
The amount really matters relative to his size!
I am thinking most likely he will be fine - but to put your mind at rest having an idea of how much he ate is a big help.
Do you think it was as much as one Hershey Kiss?
If it was one Hershey kiss (or less), milk (not plain) chocolate, and he weighs at least a pound (ie isn't a juvenile bantam chicken), then I am sure you will be fine.

And if by one pick you meant that he pecked at a some chocolate just once, so he only got a beak-full, then he will 100% be fine!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom