Can you keep 2 Roosters

Can you have 2 roosters in the same run and coop? I have a 24 buff Orphington and Black Copper Maran hens and 1 BO Rooster. I was thinking of picking up a French Black Copper Maran Rooster Chick but not sure they will get along.
I have three roosters in one Coop and it is 8 x 12 I'm sure that the drama inside has caused a few check deaths in the past. I can't rule out that it was the three broodie that were breeding all the chicks fighting over them either. Preferably I preferseparating out my Broody chick to her own location once the chicks are starting to hatch now I've had it better that way.

Can you have 2 roosters in the same run and coop? I have a 24 buff Orphington and Black Copper Maran hens and 1 BO Rooster. I was thinking of picking up a French Black Copper Maran Rooster Chick but not sure they will get along.
As long as both roosters have 8 -10 girlfriends each, they could be fine. Some roosters just have a bad temperament and don't get along period. How old is the chick?
Maybe if you raise it separately in your coop everyone will get used to seeing it around and it will be able to integrate more smoothly. (Rabbit cage, Dog kennel, etc.)

You certainly have enough hens to justify at least one more rooster if you are wanting fertile eggs! I successfully maintain 1 rooster for every 6-8 hens in a coop and have not had any problems. My coops all have between 20-30 hens plus appropriate # of roosters. I never introduce a lone bird, rather, introduce at least 2-3 at a time, and bring the newbie in at night while everyone is on the roost. They seem to adjust to a new bird better if they wake up in the morning to find it there rather than introducing it during the day.

Back
Top Bottom