Can you sex a 12 -16 week old Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennie1, Jun 15, 2010.

1. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Just wondering if you can sex a 12 -18 wk. old Silkie? I know that I can sex my other chicks pretty accurately at about 4 - 6 weeks old.
    Should you really sell straight run at that age?

2. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    Quote:silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex at a young age. most wait until they crow or lay an egg but you never know.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    someone posted on another thread that at 10 weeks there silkie tried to crow if that helps.

4. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Just wondering if you can sex a 12 -18 wk. old Silkie

Yes, you can, about 90% of them....but there is always that 1 or 2 showing traits of both.
    I'm sure most silkie breeders observe thier chicks and make "educated" guesses based on comb, crest & behavior.
    Sunday, my 16 week olds were caught in a downpour and before they went into the dogloo for cover, got pretty wet.
    My favorite silkie she/he I was unsure of got soaked. The wet head confirmed my doubts. Comb and little wattles say cockerel.
    Of 12 chicks, I'm undecided on 2 and they are the buffs.

Are these your chicks you're trying to sex? Post some pic's!

Or, are you buying chicks from someone and they are sexing them for you?
    I have 9, 10 weeks old's and I'm positve 5 are pullets, 2 are cockerls and 2 are undecided. The 2 undecided I suspect are cockerels from behavior but need another few weeks to be sure.

Good luck with your silkies.

Brenda​

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by