Can you share either pics or info

mrsengeseth

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Colorado...but home is Maine
of mixed poultry flocks? I'd like to get some quail, button or Countnix (sp??) I have one area I'd like to keep them, however i need to know if my silkies will house well with them or not. Also, what are quail's coop needs? Or would they be better served living indoors? How do you go about gathering eggs? My laying hens lay in their nest boxes pretty faithfully, can I expect that out of the quail? Do they require nest boxes? Whatever info you can share would be really appreciated. And of course, pics, as always, are encouraged!!

I had similar questions, and had a lot of luck when I did a search for the word "quail". That said, my DH has a few quail (to train the dog), and he made something very like a rabbit hutch to keep them. It has heavy 1/4" wire for the floor and front (hardware cloth, really), and wood on all other sides. I've put a fair amount of hay at each end for snuggling/warmth. They also lay their eggs in the hay. We have covered the entire coop with a tarp to keep out the wind/precipitation, but open it when it's sunny or temps are over 10 degrees. Add a one quart heated water dish and plenty of game bird crumbles and they've done really well.

I think you've got a leg up on us with the rabbit hutch! DH says the only thing he wishes he had done differently was provide a 4 sided sleeping area (with small door entry).

Good luck!
-Christian

Back
Top Bottom