Can you take a hen to a rooster for "stud" service?

Should be a couple of weeks, sometimes longer. It depends on how good the rooster is at doing his duty and how well the hens receive him.
wink.png

Quote:
A mating can last at least 2 weeks after that it tappers off if you know what I mean !!

In Corvallis you can have a rooster legally. However, the second you get a complaint you have to get rid of it. We don't have one, but one of our neighbors has for many years. In College Hill neighborhood, no less.

Honestly, I would be very concerned about biosecurity in that situation. Their birds will have been exposed to other germs than yours have, and have worked up an immunity to them. They could still be carriers even while appearing healthy.

If I were you I would trade some of my infertile eggs for your friend's fertile eggs to hatch out. I did this with a friend's eggs, and it worked out splendidly.

I agree about the health issue of the Roo
and its surroundings. I would try just one hen to see how it goes.
not all your ladies at once.
it may work faster if he dosent have too many choices ..
and his servicing can last from 2-3 weeks.

The issue that no one has seemed to adress is that when moved, most hens will stop laying for a while due to stress. This is not always the case but is very common.

I would think you would stand a much better chance of reaching your goal if you barrowed a rooster for a couple of days and put him in with your girls. This should not cause so much disturbance that the girls go on strike.

As to how long will the magic last, you wouldf need to barrow the roo again in a week because it is recommended that you AI once every 7-10 days to maintain fertility.

You would want to keep the roo two days if you have more than one or 2 hens because he is only able to insemenate a couple per day. The goods become very uneffective after the first two breedings in a day. Let's just say all the boys will have swam up stream and there is nothing but water in the chanel
wink.png

You might be ok keeping a rooster for a few days--I had a rooster in my subdivision and while he did crow a few times throughout the day, I decided the most annoying time was night. At night after he went in the coop I would grab him and put him in a ventilated rubbermaid container and keep him in the garage until late the next morning. It worked out really well. I only got rid of him because he kept flogging my toddler in the back, and well...after that I stopped liking him...

I got rid of him about a week ago and 100% of my eggs are still fertile.

I live in the city.

In the last three years, I HAD a rooster or two to service my girls in the late fall such as October, even they are not laying or finish laying. And all the neighbors windows are all closed up so no worries. The distance between the coop and neighbors are 60 to 75 ft away. having ONE roo helps and he would not crow as much because there is no competitors within earshot.

By spring, around March, my girls will start laying and getting used to the rooster helped and got fertile eggs after a week they started laying. I will keep the roo until April until warmer weather settled in and then I will give away the roo to a good home to a good friend of mine who takes him in for her girls. Then when I want him back for the fall, she would confine him to a cage for a month in her horse barn, a good 300 ft away from her chicken barn, no contact with any other birds, then she will bring him to me. Since then, I have not had a problem with anything that came from the roo from her farm. So we both share a roo.

In the spring, from this egg hatching, I can keep a son of that roo, let him grow up and be able to breed the girls in the spring and start the cycle all over again.

Back
Top Bottom