Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
HI ! I had two broody hens this fall and one of my Barred rocks managed to hoard 3 eggs (long story) she hatched one and then left the other two so my very good always broody silkie took over the nest and hatched the other two. I know who the dad is but not sure who the actual momma is, two of the chicks do look like they could be part barred rock. Now the hard part since they are part Silkie it is so hard to tell what they are I think two are Roo's and one is a Pullet looks just like my Grey silkie so cute! One was born on Oct 6th so it is 14 weeks now (so far no crowing) then 2.5 weeks later the other 2 hatched so they are around 12 weeks also no crowing so far. I have attached photos any help on gender would be great! I am hoping for hens as I do not need another roo my spring hatch and chick purchases in 2022 ended up with me gaining one hen and having to rehome 9 Roo's I have not had great luck getting hens this year! I am guessing that 2 are roo's as they have developed a little comp however not sure if that indicates male or is it because they are mixed breed? Also any guess on what breed momma is? I believe the one that looks like a full grey silkie belongs to my silkie hen (dad is a silkie mix shown in photo) The other two I think are barred rock mixed with my silkie mix roo

Attachments

• Albert.jpg
    Albert.jpg
    914.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Winter.jpg
    Winter.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Autumn side.jpg
    Autumn side.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Autumn.jpg
    Autumn.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Autumn and MO.jpg
    Autumn and MO.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 12 week.jpg
    12 week.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 12 week chicks.jpg
    12 week chicks.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 13
  • two chicks.jpg
    two chicks.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 13
If the dad is for sure a Silkie (and not barred) then all barred offspring are cockerels. Can you get a comb picture of the grey one? I believe it may be a cockerel as well 😳
Dad is a silkie mix not pure silkie he is the white one in the photo not sure what he was mixed with as he came from a batch of fertile eggs I hatched. I think you are looking for a comb pic of the one labeled winter that looks like a pure grey silkie right? I will get that in a bit. Man I was really hoping that one was a pullet it looks like my favorite silkie hen and was hoping for at least one hen!! Do the other two look like the momma is the barred rock?

Dad is a silkie mix not pure silkie he is the white one in the photo not sure what he was mixed with as he came from a batch of fertile eggs I hatched. I think you are looking for a comb pic of the one labeled winter that looks like a pure grey silkie right? I will get that in a bit. Man I was really hoping that one was a pullet it looks like my favorite silkie hen and was hoping for at least one hen!! Do the other two look like the momma is the barred rock?
I didn't see the barring in your Silkie mix's tail!! That means that barring doesn't indicate gender!! Comb pictures of each one labeled would be great! I wouldn't assume Barred Rock mix because half of your rooster's offspring will be barred anyways. Not ruled out, but it's not guaranteed. Your smooth-feathered and barred bird looks like a cockerel. :)

Thanks!! Sorry for the confusion!
Here ya go!! I added the names in the photo description I hope these are ok photos you can see the difference between Autumn and Bo Autumn has a very small comb at 14 weeks if your looking straight on you cant see it you have to get close up. Bo however at 12.5 weeks you can see the comb from a distance. Winter (smooth grey silkie) hard to tell but you will know better then me I am not good at this yet! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Winter3.jpg
    Winter3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Winter2.jpg
    Winter2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Winter1.jpg
    Winter1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Bo 3.jpg
    Bo 3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Bo 2.jpg
    Bo 2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Bo 1.jpg
    Bo 1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 13
  • Autumn 3.jpg
    Autumn 3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 11
  • autumn 2.jpg
    autumn 2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Autumn 1.jpg
    Autumn 1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Winter4.jpg
    Winter4.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 17
The mother to the silkied chicks has to be a Silkie since that type of feathering is recessive.
Thank you, even if the dad is a silkie mix? Rhodebar above explained that the 2 chicks are likely barred due to the barred feathering in the dads tail I had not thought of that and thought since my barred rock was sitting they were her eggs but I think you are all right and it is likely these are from silkie eggs with barring from the dad. Thanks for the info!!!

Back
Top Bottom