Can you train chickens to NOT peck you so hard?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Debutante, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Debutante

Debutante Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    This may seem like an idiotic question but my almost 5-week-old pullets (mostly, I hope) have started pecking our hands quite hard. This is not a big deal for me but it is frightening and painful for my little grandchildren. We want these hens to be "pets" and I don't believe they're being malicious, they just don't realize their own strength. :) Can chickens be trained like dogs and horses to stop being "mouthy" or rough?
    Also, could this be a sign of cockerels in our midst? One (a Buff Orpington) is especially large and much fiercer than the rest.

Thank you in advance for your comments or suggestions!

rbnk1 and Tucs like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally don't allow such behaviors nor to I hand feed, I scatter all treats. I think you can have either one way or the other, and it would be impossible to teach them to peck lightly.

Debutante likes this.
  3. Debutante

Debutante Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Yes, I agree! We NEVER hand feed them anything and they don't get treats yet. The kids just like to hold them on their lap and pet them. Mainly, the chicks just peck at their freckles or at anything that seems "new and exciting". Like you, I'm not willing to tolerate any bad behaviours in chickens or my other animals!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's the main reason I don't over handle my chickens because they will peck at you. I had some last year that got too friendly and started pecking my hands for stuff, one got hit on the head when I got startled and dropped my feed scoop on it, and another I ended up kicking slightly because it kept getting in front of me. Both stopped after my accidental corrections.

Chickens can peck at eyes so your kids need to be very careful, some members have learned the hard way about that.

MonicaWA and Debutante like this.
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I must be doing something very wrong hand-feeding chickens used as pets and for public display. Please advise.

Chicken Girl1 likes this.
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are you ridiculing me?

7. Debutante

Debutante Songster

Feb 24, 2011

YIKES!!! I'd hate to think about getting an eyeball pecked by a chicken! That'd be a whole new level of "BAD"! Thank you for the heads up. I think our chicken-cuddling days are over. :) I'll switch to letting the kids scatter treats around their pen, when the time comes.

MonicaWA and oldhenlikesdogs like this.
  8. ChickenCowboy02

ChickenCowboy02 Predator Slayer

You don't have too stop just keep them away from eyes;)

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    All the handling up to this point will ensure they remain friendly birds that are nice pets that should follow your kids around and come running for treats.

Debutante likes this.
  10. Debutante

Debutante Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    I agree, but only for the older kids. One of mine has just turned three and she wouldn't remember to keep the chicken a safe distance from her eyeballs. :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: