Can your quail drink from horizontal nipples?

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
Can your quail drink from horizontal nipples? If yes, how did you teach them? I’ve been holding mine to it and pressing their beak gently to the drop of water that collects under the silver nipple, I saw one pecking at them, but didn’t seem to be getting any. I left out the chick waterer tonight just in case. I’ve seen videos of people using these for quail, and they say just show them how, but they are not seeming to understand.

6B5C2688-1193-4C47-89D5-313993C52067.jpeg

Also I put the chick waterer on the brick under the nipples, hoping they associate that area with water.

Those look like they're mounted pretty high but it could be the picture. I have some but haven't used them yet.

They are on the very bottom of the bottle, and the bottle sits on a cinderblock. There’s a brick under the nipples that they can stand on and drink, and they stand on it all the time, they also climb up there to drink from the chick waterer without problem, many stretch up from the floor even without getting on the brick. But even when I saw one pecking the nipples, he didn’t make drinking motions after, so I think he didn’t get any. The cinderblock is damp because I keep pressing the nipples and showing them the water, but they don’t seem to get it, are their beaks too small?

I would lower the jug where they could access the water from the ground and let them get used to it down there first. The horizontal nipples have a very tiny "bowl" that will hold a couple droplets of water. Once the quail realize there's water there they try and drink from it which bumps the nipple and let's a little more water out. As seen in this video...

If the nipples are lower, around chest height they will see the water I think. I would also remove the other waterer, and place each quails beak in the water under the nipple. They will figure it out, especially if they don't have to climb on top of bricks first. Once they figure it out then I would move it up there where they have to climb on the brick if you want to.... but I think I would just leave it at ground level.

Last edited:
I would lower the jug where they could access the water from the ground and let them get used to it down there first. The horizontal nipples have a very tiny "bowl" that will hold a couple droplets of water. Once the quail realize there's water there they try and drink from it which bumps the nipple and let's a little more water out. As seen in this video...

If the nipples are lower, around chest height they will see the water I think. I would also remove the other waterer, and place each quails beak in the water under the nipple. They will figure it out, especially if they don't have to climb on top of bricks first. Once they figure it out then I would move it up there where they have to climb on the brick if you want to.... but I think I would just leave it at ground level.

Thank you, I’m happy to know they can physically do it, I’ll try putting it lower, and I’ll show them all again. I worry when I touch their beak to it, they are so angry I’m doing it they don’t pay attention. But the video shows they can definitely learn.

Back
Top Bottom