canada goose goslings

swenson1995

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
I have giant Canadian goose goslings for sale. These are very friendly birds and will follow you around like a pet. I'm selling them unsexed and the wings are not clipped.They are about 2 weeks old. 30$ per chick, pickup or willing to meet, Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks (located in south central MN)

Please check the Migratory Bird laws, I posted a portion under the Learning Center, Laws. Unless you are licensed you can't sell, trade, give away or possess the Canada Goose or their gosling's that is considered a Federal offense.

Please check the Migratory Bird laws, I posted a portion under the Learning Center, Laws. Unless you are licensed you can't sell, trade, give away or possess the Canada Goose or their gosling's that is considered a Federal offense.

Unless the laws have changed in the last year, you don't need a federal permit to keep them if you obtain them from a legal source and they are properly marked. That being said, many states require a permit to keep them and you DO need a federal permit for propagation if you breed them for sale.

swenson1995, do you have a permit, and if so are your birds tested for AI? I am asking because I would love to get some, but the AI requirement that my state has is causing me to hit a stumbling block. Even the canada geese from hatcheries are apparently not from an AI tested flock
sad.png

First of all, you are required to have a permit for possession of a Canada Goose. Further you are required to have a license for any propagation of that species. I no longer have any migratory birds or endangered species of any sort but I used to have hundreds. If you want to obtain the birds legally, I would suggest you get in contact with a local bird club or a national one for more information like the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society. I'm not trying to finger point here but more over educate people on the do's and don'ts. Jo

First of all, you are required to have a permit for possession of a Canada Goose. Further you are required to have a license for any propagation of that species. I no longer have any migratory birds or endangered species of any sort but I used to have hundreds. If you want to obtain the birds legally, I would suggest you get in contact with a local bird club or a national one for more information like the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society. I'm not trying to finger point here but more over educate people on the do's and don'ts. Jo

I spoke to US Fish and Wildlife about this last year. Your state may require you to have a permit to have them, but federal only requires a permit if you are propagating them.

This is the reg from US Fish and Wildlife. On a side note, I found someone who has them legally and has a propagation permit, and he is only 15 miles away from me! Now to get a pen set up and apply to the state for a permit...

§21.14 Permit exceptions for captive-bred migratory waterfowl other than mallard ducks.​

You may acquire captive-bred and properly marked migratory waterfowl of all species other than mallard ducks (Anas platyrhynchos), alive or dead, or their eggs, and possess and transport such birds or eggs and any progeny or eggs for your use without a permit, subject to the following conditions and restrictions. Additional restrictions on the acquisition and transfer of muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata) are in paragraph (g) of this section.
(a) You may acquire live waterfowl or their eggs only from a holder of a valid waterfowl sale and disposal permit in the United States. You also may lawfully acquire them outside of the United States with appropriate permits (see §21.21 of subpart C of this part).
(b) All progeny of captive-bred birds or eggs from captive-bred birds must be physically marked as set forth in §21.13(b).
(c) You may not transfer or dispose of captive-bred birds or their eggs, whether alive or dead, to any other person unless you have a waterfowl sale and disposal permit (see §21.25 of subpart C of this part).
(d) Lawfully possessed and properly marked birds may be killed, in any number, at any time or place, by any means except shooting. Such birds may be killed by shooting only in accordance with all applicable hunting regulations governing the taking of like species from the wild (see part 20 of this subchapter).
(e) At all times during possession, transportation, and storage until the raw carcasses of such birds are finally processed immediately prior to cooking, smoking, or canning, you must leave the marked foot or wing attached to each carcass, unless the carcass was marked as provided in §21.25(b)(6) and the foot or wing was removed prior to your acquisition of the carcass.
(f) If you acquire captive-bred waterfowl or their eggs from a waterfowl sale and disposal permittee, you must retain the FWS Form 3-186, Notice of Waterfowl Sale or Transfer, from the permittee for as long as you have the birds, eggs, or progeny of them.
(g) You may not acquire or possess live muscovy ducks, their carcasses or parts, or their eggs, except to raise them to be sold as food, and except that you may possess any live muscovy duck that you lawfully acquired prior to March 31, 2010. If you possess muscovy ducks on that date, you may not propagate them or sell or transfer them to anyone for any purpose, except to be used as food. You may not release them to the wild, sell them to be hunted or released to the wild, or transfer them to anyone to be hunted or released to the wild.
(h) Dealers in meat and game, hotels, restaurants, and boarding houses may serve or sell to their customers the carcass of any bird acquired from a holder of a valid waterfowl sale and disposal permit.
[75 FR 9320, Mar. 1, 2010]

Back
Top Bottom