Canada Goose socializing question.

RoboDuck

Songster
5 Years
None of my waterfowl are old enough to release onto our pond yet. Our eventual flock should consist of Pilgrim Geese and hopefully Cotton Patch Geese. Then there will be Cayugas, Khakis, Rouens and Pekins. Earlier this week a pair of Canada Geese arrived and it appears they are a pair that intend to set up housekeeping. I know they are loud, obnoxious and very protective of their nest and babies. Are they going to present a threat to my birds once they are ready to be put out there? The pond is almost 1 1/2 acres so there should be room but will the wild geese share nicely?

That's good to hear. They haven't started building a nest yet but I'm pretty sure they're going to. They have taken up residence in my pond. Thankfully it's just the 2 of them and not 100 like you see on golf courses and stuff. I'm going to be terribly annoyed if they start harassing or bullying my pet ducks and geese.

I don't think they will give dangerous trouble as long as yours are fairly mature when you turn them out. They will be clear which area is theirs, to be sure. Ducks are terribly aware of who's moving where and who's giving them the hairy eyeball (in my experience). And your pond is about the size of my dad's- large enough that ducks should be able to enjoy an area far enough from the nest to be a bother.

My dad's visitors hatched several goslings last year.. Soo cute!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom