Canada goose

"MBTA provides that it is unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, possess, sell, purchase, barter, import, export, or transport any migratory bird, or any part, nest, or egg or any such bird, unless authorized under a permit issued by the Secretary of the Interior. Some regulatory exceptions apply. Take is defined in regulations as: ‘pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or attempt to pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect.’ ”

That's from here: https://www.audubon.org/news/the-migratory-bird-treaty-act-explained

The useful info on the other one was pretty far down, but basically just says that Canada geese are covered under the act.

Edited to add this link: https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/permits.php

Hey everyone I live in Minnesota do you need a permit to keep a pair of Canada geese I have not been able to find any information thanks!
If you were going to sell them you would.
Where did you obtain the geese from? As long as the seller gave you a valid sale and disposal permit and you filled it out, proving the geese were raised in captivity, and they're properly marked, then you're all good.

If you were going to sell them you would.
Where did you obtain the geese from? As long as the seller gave you a valid sale and disposal permit and you filled it out, proving the geese were raised in captivity, and they're properly marked, then you're all good.
I have not gotten any yet just wondering if I need permits like my wood ducks thanks!

I have not gotten any yet just wondering if I need permits like my wood ducks thanks!
I own Canada geese. YES, you need a permit, that's the federal law. You get the permit, from the breeder, when you legally buy them. Now, it's possible that your state may have additional requirements, but I'd call a warden for details... More then one warden, as they may not always know all the details. When talking to them, I'd ask if I would need any ADDITIONAL paperwork or permits to the federal permit provided by the seller, if you buy Canada goslings from a legal breeder in the USA.
If you would like contact info, I did post some breeders on here in another thread. I think I named it: I FOUND LEGAL CANADA GOOSE BREEDERS!!!
If you'd like to see our Canada goslings grow up and follow our adventure with 2 Canada geese, 1 cackling, 1 hybrid Canada x swan goose and 2 African geese (we think African lol) here is a link to our channel on YT. This video is about our silly goose blue at 7 weeks old. She's the mischief lol

Back
Top Bottom