Canadians check in here....

Pics
welcome-byc.gif
Granny Sue!

Last edited by a moderator:
Snow out west, snow in the middle, snow heading east YAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Wanted to mention shortages of bedding in certain places across Canada. Because of those $400 rebates given to pellet stove buyers there is a shortage of pellets. Huge numbers of sawmills and other businesses are investing in pellet machines, creating shortage of sawdust and sometimes of shavings, which are also popular in bulk as fuel. Keep a supply of bedding on hand for shortages, country-wide. Already being felt here. I have my bedding, do YOU!
lol.png

Quote:
I wasn't aware of the rebates but know that one of the reasons that there's a shortage here is because one of the mfg. burnt down. Prices are going up as a consequence of less availability.
he.gif

BTW I use them for litter in my rabbit poopy boxes
smile.png
and have used it for kitty litter...what bedding do you use it for?

Edited to add that I was speaking of wood pellets and not shavings...sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I heard the Quebec fire really made the difference. It's the shavings I use, and found a local guy who is thinking about covering the shavings he makes from cutting shakes. He uses maple, birch, poplar, elm...my backup plan. I should be all right until March or so, and I have a little more storage space if I panic and get more bales before the supply runs out at the co-op. I can always switch to peat moss which works well but leaves the coop so dark.

I've heard of folks using the pellets themselves for animal bedding and litter and I considered it, but for chickens the wood pellets resemble their layer pellets so much I'm leery about ingestion/impaction and reduced nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom