Canadians check in here....

This from where I am in Alberta
IMG_3492.jpeg

New to chickens, and to this community; from the Kawartha’s, near Lindsay, Ontario. On agricultural land but still in a grey area of the bylaw’s 😬.. but for now all is well and fine, and the neighbours love the new entertainment channel and pest services we installed.
Currently are not entirely sure what we have/breed quality/etc, just approximations or guesstimates from the flocks we have secured eggs from.
4 - BCM/ Olive eggers
3 - Black lace Wyandotte
1 - mystery australorp
4 - barred rock
3 - partridge/ginger? Silkie

All eggs were sourced locally within a few hours drive, and though we have to keep our addiction under control; we are still looking to get other silkies, gold lace Wyandotte, and red lace Wyandotte.. probably way more will be sought, these are just the ones we’ve seen already and would like to try. Once sis in Chatham, ON is done chemotherapy and recover,should be able to grab a few other breeds of silkie and maybe a red lace if they’re producing by then.. and maybe we might snag some quail and more meat wabbits from her by then too!

Last edited:
@Albertan That wyandotte is a beauty! I'm definitely putting at least one on my list for next year!

When I couldn't replace my retired production reds this year, I branched out quite a bit and got some of the ones off my "But is that practical...?" List ;) And I haven't regretted a single minute of it! Most are beautiful mixes, but I did snag a couple cochins, an Isbar, a pair of silkies and a lovely bunch of itty bitty polish chicks even after I swore I was done with the brooder this year :oops:

Here's a few of the seasons peepers
20200630_184749.jpg
20200618_191136.jpg
20200630_184116.jpg
20200725_005141.jpg
20200707_183811.jpg 20200630_184953.jpg

Attachments

• 20200720_074741.jpg
    20200720_074741.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi. Also from south-west of Ottawa near Kemptville. I have Muscovy ducks but help with my daughter's mixed flock of chickens and peacocks. We sell most of our eggs during laying season. The peacock eggs usually got stolen by predators so last year we changed it up. The peacock eggs are about the same size as Muscovy eggs so I started switching them. Worked out quite well as long as I kept a close eye out for first signs of hatching. Missed a few and the ducks killed them probably thinking, "What the hell is that thing." I guess they haven't read the Ugly Duckling story. The rest I finished hatching in the oven, a process I perfected using the oven light and a spray bottle. Now chicks and ducklings are real cute, but a spare room full of baby peacocks is way over the laugh meter.:lau

Back
Top Bottom