Canadians check in here....

For sure! Just set up a separate pen in main coop with extra window, chicken door & gate for a separate yard for younger birds. Also put a window in grow out coop for even younger birds! Phew! So glad to have chicks out of the basement. Need to move brooder to garage.

For sure! Just set up a separate pen in main coop with extra window, chicken door & gate for a separate yard for younger birds. Also put a window in grow out coop for even younger birds! Phew! So glad to have chicks out of the basement. Need to move brooder to garage.
Looks like I need to do a pen inside main coop w its own door sooner rather than later! My 4 ducks are at best two days older than my 16 chicks (about 4 weeks old) but they are HUGE in comparison now and don't like the idea of sharing the huge new coop with the little chicks. As much as the ducks and chicks hated being separated a couple weeks ago it was not a good reunion. Not biting but we had to take them apart again...

My three ducklings have always been together. Since yesterday the Rouen (who I believe to be male) has started plucking out the chest down of one of my two Pekins. (The one I believe to be male also). He has two bare patches with dried blood and he won't leave him alone. Every time he gets settled the Rouen comes and pulls at his chest or tail feathers. He does it a little bit to the other Pekin, who I believe to be female, but no where near as often. When I put treats in tonight, he continues to pluck despite the treats and the other two just ran around trying to get away from him. He had a mouthful of down. I had to separate him. I placed him in a large dog cage with bedding, food and water for the night. I had sprayed Blu-Kote on the areas but that seemed to make it worse.
Anyone have any suggestions?
They are all calling each other and stressed but I can't leave him in there for the night. They couldn't even sit down as he was chasing them.

Anyone here around the Gander, Newf, area? I heard they got 50cm of snow last night!! Wow...can anyone confirm? I am looking for Welsummer chicks...only 2...but am not having any luck in Nova Scotia...*sigh

Anyone here around the Gander, Newf, area? I heard they got 50cm of snow last night!! Wow...can anyone confirm? I am looking for Welsummer chicks...only 2...but am not having any luck in Nova Scotia...*sigh
http://activelifefarm.ca/index.html They don't advertise Welsummers but they do have many other rare breeds and can maybe help you locate what you need. They are based in Nova Scotia so it should be local for you. Hope that helps.

Anyone here around the Gander, Newf, area? I heard they got 50cm of snow last night!!  Wow...can anyone confirm?   I am looking for Welsummer chicks...only 2...but am not having any luck in Nova Scotia...*sigh

Yes I heard that on the news about the snow in Newf. I'm in SW Ontario and it has suddenly gone down to 5c !! Oh brother. It had been 26C. Need a rain but just drizzling.

Back
Top Bottom