Canadians check in here....

HELLO CANADA!?!?
Anyone out there still?
Or did everyone crawl into caves to hibernate?

I'm looking for reputable breeders that supply healthy pullets in Southern Ontario for the following breeds: Speckled Sussex, Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Golden Laced Wyandottes or other colourful varieties of dual purpose birds.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
CoopNScoop

Hi everyone.
Guelph Ontario here :)
I'm new here and to chickens. Planning on getting chicks and building a coop in the spring. Can't wait to have fresh eggs.
Where's the best place to get chicks? Direct from a hatchery? TSC store? I have no idea lol.

I am from Armstrong bc. I have a back yard flock of mostly heratidge breeds. I have chicks coming soon and Im very excited about that. Lol! I find that chickens are intriguing. I have had many experiences so far, good and bad. All in all...these birds are awesome. I have Black Copper Marans, Lavender Orpingtons, Olive Egger, Columbian Rock (not a heratidge breed) Ameraucana cross, Barnevelders, Polish/Silkie Frizzle, Cream Legbars.My chicks will be Mottled Ameraucana, Salmon Maran and Cream Brabanter.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
I'm new here and to chickens. Planning on getting chicks and building a coop in the spring. Can't wait to have fresh eggs.
Where's the best place to get chicks? Direct from a hatchery? TSC store? I have no idea lol.

Fresh eggs are the best! I have no experience with chicks from a hatchery or TSC. I have always bought birds/chicks from an auction sale, kijiji or a breeder.
Welcome to BYC.

Hi everyone.

Hey also in Guelph!
I got a small coop for free for a friend and currently have 8 hens that I got through kijiji for $35 in mid November just to try it out on the cheap before buying some of the birds I really want and investing in a bigger coop. I now plan to build a new bigger coop in spring if I can wait that long.
1f633.png

Depending on what you want TSC sells chicks, I'm told Sharpe farm supply does also and they are just outside of town.
If you get chicks next month they can be outside and laying by the end of spring when you have your coop up!
"Pullets Plus" in Elmira only seems to sell "white and brown layers" if that is what you want but I don't think they sell chicks.
I'm personally not ready to invest the time effort or money in chicks and am probably going to get some pullets from Precision Plymouth Rocks in St. Thomas Ont. this April. I really like the look of Plymouth Rocks and they have several varieties.
I'd also like to get some Easter Eggers (for the coloured eggs) and Speckled Sussex or Swedish Flower Hens because they look awesome!
I have another friend in Guelph that keeps birds and he and I will likely be placing our order for pullets (not chicks) for this spring if you are interested.
Otherwise in the spring there are farmers markets around that local breeders attend.
Nice to meet you,
CoopNScoop

Hi everyone.
HI I got mine at pullets plus in Elmira they have everything you need ! I am just up the road in Arthur !

Last edited:
HI I got mine at pullets plus in Elmira they have everything you need ! I am just up the road in Arthur !

I checked their site and all it says is that they offered "Lohman and ISA chickens". So many questions!
Were you able to get chicks?
What breeds were available when you got yours?
I was thinking I might try contacting them directly and seeing if there are options.
Thanks,
CoopNScoop

Back
Top Bottom