Canadians check in here....

Hi @Kris5902 ! It sounds like you're living the dream! Is where you live part of the San Juans?
It would be if I was an American... it’s the Canadian part of the same island chain. There are 5 decent sized Islands a bit north of the San Juans in Canadian Waters... sort of between the southern end of Vancouver Island and the mainland. I’m on the most sparsely populated, about 300 permanent residents. I’ve got direct line of sight to Orcas Island from where I’m building (well, if I walk out through the trees I have it).

Once we get the house built and move out of the 25 foot 5th wheel trailer we’ve been living in it will be living my dream. A little more physical labor than I expected, but I can live with that! We need to adopt some teenagers or something...

It was my silkie/buckeye cross. Her eggs are about a medium size, light beige colour.

I think I'm going to focus on hatching this year. I do want to either get a chantecler male or some hatching eggs, as my roo died last summer. In the fall i will probably be getting some bantam buckeyes. They're just being introduced in Canada.

How about you?
Sorry to hear about your roo. I knew you had Chanteclers. I am picking up a Hamburg today and posdibly a Silkie cross Polish!

Hi, where (even generally) do you live, and how cold is it usually at this time of year there? That will probably have the greatest affect on when you get them out. Also how many chickens do you have?

You want to wait until they are all fully feathered for sure, but depending on your Barn/coop set up I would think you can get them out well before last frost. I hatched my first batch ever on October 20th, and they went outside around December 20th. We were still getting some freezing temperatures, but they did just fine.

LOL, I'm near Edmonton, the coldest part of the year is generally January, with another cold snap in March. My sister lives in Kelowna and used to keep chickens, she would send me pics of the grass in March, I still usually have 6 inches of snow, you are lucky.

I will wait until they are fully feathered at least, maybe end of March. I might move them into the garage, there is less 'ventilation' in there and may be a bit warmer. They are two weeks now and stretching their wing muscles, making so much noise, I can't imagine the ruckus once they are larger, yes I know there are only 9 of them.

I got my first 3 buckeyes and my bantams off of kijiji. It's amazing some of the things you can find on there.
So you have 8 chickens at about 2 weeks old? And eggs incubating? Or 8 older chickens and the eggs hatched and they are now 2 weeks old? Sorry, I’m easily confused sometimes!

Do you have access to anywhere colder than where they are at, but not at the frigid Alberta outside temperatures? Think kind of like hardening off seedlings to go in the garden... slowly exposing them to colder temperatures over several days...

I have 9 chicks about 2 weeks old in my basement that I hatched (my first hatch ever), 5 adult chickens outside, and eggs in the incubator.

I have moved the heat lamp up and the floor sitting right under the lamp is 30C, they have only really started running around the whole room (4ftx5ft) in the last couple days, but I can probably move the lamp up again.

Hi @Purple_grape84 ! Welcome! I'm an hour NW of Edmonton, near the Alexis reservation... kinda sorta near Onoway.
Welcome to BYC! There's so much information and help, and all round great people. I hope that you enjoy your time here as much as the rest of us chicken folk.

Hi, you are very close to where I used to live, before the farm, when I was in Morinville. My mom is still in the area so I get out there regularily. Maybe we could have an egg exchange in the spring if you like to hatch, and when my girls start.

Which Facebook pages do you follow?
The same as you as well as Alberta animals, birds & livestock buy/sell/trade; Alberta Farm Poultry /livestock Buy and Sell; Canadian Poultry Buy/Sell/Trade; Canadian Heritage and Purebred poultry breeders Search and Sales; CMC Poultry and Hatching Egg Auction in Canada & Western Canada - Poultry Swap/Show/Event.

Lol. Do you think I belong to enough?

Back
Top Bottom