Canadians check in here....

Hi,
It is presently sunny and a cool minus 5 degrees.

I always had birds in the last thirty years, and in the early days ordered my chicks from Murray McMurray and went to get them at a Vermont Post Office.

In fact, my family had chickens for a long time and my grandfather helped develop the Chanteclerc with Brother Wilfrid in Oka (a really long time ago). I never met any of my grandparents so I learned everything on my own.

I no longer travel for work, and I retired in a small city that prohibited chickens. Now it is allowed but you need to secure a permit and are limited to between three and five adult chickens, no chicks or roosters. Bummer. I always raised from chicks.

I kept my small tractor coop from when I lived on a farm and will this spring, build a permanent run and base for the tractor. This way I will move the tractor to inside my garage and use a small inside run.

I succeeded in reserving three pullets. A Barred Rock, a columbian (possibly a Plymouth) and a hybrid Red (unknown breed). They shall be here in April. I am looking for either a Wheaten Maran, a Brahma, Speckled Sussex for the two remaining allowed pullets.

Any suggestions on where in Canada I could secure heritage breeds in small quantity?

I will update in May with pictures of my installation.

Thanks

Hi,

I always had birds in the last thirty years, and in the early days ordered my chicks from Murray McMurray and went to get them at a Vermont Post Office.

In fact, my family had chickens for a long time and my grandfather helped develop the Chanteclerc with Brother Wilfrid in Oka (a really long time ago). I never met any of my grandparents so I learned everything on my own.

I no longer travel for work, and I retired in a small city that prohibited chickens. Now it is allowed but you need to secure a permit and are limited to between three and five adult chickens, no chicks or roosters. Bummer. I always raised from chicks.

I kept my small tractor coop from when I lived on a farm and will this spring, build a permanent run and base for the tractor. This way I will move the tractor to inside my garage and use a small inside run.

I succeeded in reserving three pullets. A Barred Rock, a columbian (possibly a Plymouth) and a hybrid Red (unknown breed). They shall be here in April. I am looking for either a Wheaten Maran, a Brahma, Speckled Sussex for the two remaining allowed pullets.

Any suggestions on where in Canada I could secure heritage breeds in small quantity?

Thanks
That is great history in your family. I usually find most chicks etc on Kijiji. I have travelled six hours one day to pick up my Marans! Try attend Poultry Shows in your area. Some breeders will have as hens etc for sale there. That is too bad that not allowed chicks. For the past two years have picked up chicks late fall and over winter, kept them in the basement until pullets then put them in the coop come spring. Can you do that? How would anyone know you have chicks? :jumpy
This website also is a list of breeders to look at. Possibly someone has one or two to sell. Rarebreedscanada.org. I hope you find some great birds! Oh, it's minus 16 here in Alberta today. Hopefully this is the last of the super cold weather. My flock of 8 is getting pretty tired of being locked up. :frow

Hi,

Thanks
Welcome!

I have chanteclers. I love them! I'm hoping to hatch lots more this year for sure. It's a shame that you didn't get to share your grandfather's experiences with him.

Back
Top Bottom