Canadians check in here....

Serves me right for free ranging.
I've got an LGD, but he likes to wander onto the highway, and still thinks chickens are a great toy to chase and run around with in his mouth, so he's tied up. Darn coyotes know exactly where his chain ends and walk just out of reach.
what a coincidence I was going to recommend a LGD. I had a Great Pyrenees. Miss her dearly. Probably died of cancer. Tried a puppy after her but ended up being a cross, of what I don’t know and turned out to be vicious towards ppl. She bit my grown daughter on the thigh. Went right through her jeans. nipped several other ppl before her that I thought they were puppy bites...obviously not. Had her put down before she. Killed someone. Took me a long time to get over her. Guess you need a fenced yard but still won’t stop her/him from carrying them around lol.

what a coincidence I was going to recommend a LGD. I had a Great Pyrenees. Miss her dearly. Probably died of cancer. Tried a puppy after her but ended up being a cross, of what I don’t know and turned out to be vicious towards ppl. She bit my grown daughter on the thigh. Went right through her jeans. nipped several other ppl before her that I thought they were puppy bites...obviously not. Had her put down before she. Killed someone. Took me a long time to get over her. Guess you need a fenced yard but still won’t stop her/him from carrying them around lol.
My guy is amazing. He looooves people. He only barks when he sees a threat, not all the time. He's a Karakachan.
20190714_164918.jpg

I've been considering a GPS invisible fence, as I've got 99 acres, but they're super expensive! At least $3k.

My guy is amazing. He looooves people. He only barks when he sees a threat, not all the time. He's a Karakachan.
View attachment 2019719

I've been considering a GPS invisible fence, as I've got 99 acres, but they're super expensive! At least $3k.
Oh wow he’s gorgeous. Never heard of them...I will have to research. Here’s my gang. Minus the little red guy...he just passed in his 14th year. I’ve got 65 acres but rented out to cash crops. Probably 12 bare as I used to have horses.

Attachments

• 673C99DD-2ED4-492A-AF54-970F3EB32ACD.jpeg
    673C99DD-2ED4-492A-AF54-970F3EB32ACD.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 2019719

Man you’ve got lots of chickens! I’ve got 5 cats too and a killer caique. Tried to pierce my lip once. Little bugger.

Man you’ve got lots of chickens! I’ve got 5 cats too and a killer caique. Tried to pierce my lip once. Little bugger.
Yeah... I've got way more than I planned. Someone who had over 100 chicks from me decided that he didn't like the breed. Thankfully, as awful as it sounds, he only had 1 heat lamp, and he lost quite a few in huddles. I ended up taking 45 back, so I've got at least 75 right now. Lucky for me, POL birds are in high demand come spring.

Yeah... I've got way more than I planned. Someone who had over 100 chicks from me decided that he didn't like the breed. Thankfully, as awful as it sounds, he only had 1 heat lamp, and he lost quite a few in huddles. I ended up taking 45 back, so I've got at least 75 right now. Lucky for me, POL birds are in high demand come spring.
POL birds?.........sorry I’m new. He was not very organized! I’m already organizing by brooder and area.....I don’t want to lose any! Lol since I’ve only got 10! I’m going to get a backup chicken heater in case this one dies. Got to be prepared!

POL birds?.........sorry I’m new. He was not very organized! I’m already organizing by brooder and area.....I don’t want to lose any! Lol since I’ve only got 10! I’m going to get a backup chicken heater in case this one dies. Got to be prepared!
POL= point of lay
Most of the birds I'll be selling will be about 9 months old.

I highly recommend a brooding plate for your brooder. Mine make it outside in 3 weeks with no heat. Much heartier too. No huddling in the brooder. I've got 3 plates and plan to get more. I'm hoping to run a hatching/ brooding business this year.

Back
Top Bottom