Canadians check in here....

POL= point of lay
Most of the birds I'll be selling will be about 9 months old.

I highly recommend a brooding plate for your brooder. Mine make it outside in 3 weeks with no heat. Much heartier too. No huddling in the brooder. I've got 3 plates and plan to get more. I'm hoping to run a hatching/ brooding business this year.
Hello, is this a brooding plate? It’s what I have. I figure if they can run around with mom then have her keep them warm at night this could simulate it. They can go into the large carrier that I have it in with shavings and warms it to 92° this way no lights on 24/7. I’d really appreciate some tips. My day olds come in April. It’s a three hr drive home what should I do to keep them comfortable on the way back? Should I have food and water And heated box? Or wait till I get home?

Attachments

• 32B6F972-0B0A-4D66-B4FC-FB6E1FA1EDDF.png
    32B6F972-0B0A-4D66-B4FC-FB6E1FA1EDDF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Nope, those are more for adult chickens to help keep them warm in their coop.

These are the brooding plates.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heating-plates-and-covers?cat_id=226They mimic a hen in that the heat comes from above. You can adjust the height as they get bigger. Just don't go by the # of chicks it says it will allow. It will hold that many when they're just hatched, but doesn't take growth into account.

Your chicks will be fine for the drive home. Just wait until you get them home. Then introduce them to water but dipping each one's beak in. Even without a hen, chicks are really good at figuring things out for themselves.

I don't use a heater plate because I also hatch Call Ducklings and they don't generally go under anything once up and about. I use heat lamps. I raise Calls and Bantam Chicks each spring. I currently have two Call hens setting in my Duck house. Now I'll have to move Momma and babies to my Bird garage if they hatch.

Nope, those are more for adult chickens to help keep them warm in their coop.

These are the brooding plates.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heating-plates-and-covers?cat_id=226They mimic a hen in that the heat comes from above. You can adjust the height as they get bigger. Just don't go by the # of chicks it says it will allow. It will hold that many when they're just hatched, but doesn't take growth into account.

Your chicks will be fine for the drive home. Just wait until you get them home. Then introduce them to water but dipping each one's beak in. Even without a hen, chicks are really good at figuring things out for themselves.
Ok Thxs for the advice about on the way home. This is what I made....it’s 24”L x 14”W x 12”H . The bottom under the shavings is the heated seed starter pad...then I put a comforter over top. the white thing is the chicken heater...not hot to the touch with the white cover on it. When both are on it reaches 92°. Slightly less when I turn off the seed pad. By then it will be week 3 And middle of May or so. So I thought I’d put them in their new coop. Possibly put an oil heater in there along with the heated cat carrier. Keep it slightly warm but not as warm as if they were in the house. Think 10 will fit in there? Lol if not I can put two cat carriers and two chicken heaters. What do you think?

Attachments

• 2F891E84-DA19-47FD-82CB-7AFCB72CC4BB.jpeg
    2F891E84-DA19-47FD-82CB-7AFCB72CC4BB.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 0
  • E38B6905-95BE-4B5C-B8BB-B2283AF8A650.jpeg
    E38B6905-95BE-4B5C-B8BB-B2283AF8A650.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 0
  • 0A92BFC5-7655-4A0C-9AFB-EFF7CCFFC2BB.jpeg
    0A92BFC5-7655-4A0C-9AFB-EFF7CCFFC2BB.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
I don't use a heater plate because I also hatch Call Ducklings and they don't generally go under anything once up and about. I use heat lamps. I raise Calls and Bantam Chicks each spring. I currently have two Call hens setting in my Duck house. Now I'll have to move Momma and babies to my Bird garage if they hatch.
I also have a small dog cage that I could hang the chicken heater in for week 3.....I would definitely hold 10 growing guys.

Back
Top Bottom