Canadians check in here....

Bittersweet day March 31st, we lost the battle with my one and only first hatching chick but received all these beauties to:

196778DA-6596-47DD-871E-29B460683101.jpeg

The hatchery sent us 2 extra chicks. 1 more male & 1 more female, so we have 27 birds. They were to have had a hatch date of March 30th to be a day old when we received them March 31st, however, their feathers seem to tell us they are older. Regardless, we are happy with our little brood & are not sure how many we will try & get rid of. Our female:male ratio is off now, how important is that?

The hatchery sent us 2 extra chicks. 1 more male & 1 more female, so we have 27 birds. They were to have had a hatch date of March 30th to be a day old when we received them March 31st, however, their feathers seem to tell us they are older. Regardless, we are happy with our little brood & are not sure how many we will try & get rid of. Our female:male ratio is off now, how important is that?
If you are keeping them all, one roo to 8 to 10 hens. Even at 6to 9 weeks old, you can see the young roos start sparing with each other. How many roos might you have? What do you want your flock for? Eggs? Breeding? Meat?

If you are keeping them all, one roo to 8 to 10 hens. Even at 6to 9 weeks old, you can see the young roos start sparing with each other. How many roos might you have? What do you want your flock for? Eggs? Breeding? Meat?

IF I have sexed them right, I feather sexed them, I have 5 Roos which is actually 2 more than we ordered I think & leaves 22 hens.

When we placed our order we did approximate a 10:1 ratio, with one Roo having 11, but it seems our math has now been made moot lol.

My partner & I were just talking briefly about this this morning & I think we’ve come to the consensus we want a flock for eggs & a flock for breeding & have come up with some ideas on how to manage that, though a bit involved lol. I actually do not know for sure how old they are either, is there a way to tell by plumage, behaviour, their legs, or anything?

IF I have sexed them right, I feather sexed them, I have 5 Roos which is actually 2 more than we ordered I think & leaves 22 hens.

When we placed our order we did approximate a 10:1 ratio, with one Roo having 11, but it seems our math has now been made moot lol.

My partner & I were just talking briefly about this this morning & I think we’ve come to the consensus we want a flock for eggs & a flock for breeding & have come up with some ideas on how to manage that, though a bit involved lol. I actually do not know for sure how old they are either, is there a way to tell by plumage, behaviour, their legs, or anything?
Post some pics and we can take a look for you.

That's pretty good to end up with so many females! Wait and see until 6 to 9 weeks old before confirming male or female. Age wise, they should have been sold to you day old to two days old. That's all they can survive without being shipped without food and water. Feather sexing usually good for day olds. Sometimes females develop tail feathers faster. Some are slightly different color. Some have different color legs. But all breed dependant. This BYC site has great breed profiles and tons of other information about other questions and answers on sexing your breed. Just type it in on the main site on which breed you have. That's how I started. Special category for everything. Starting breed pens, how to pick the best for breeding. Illneses etc.Lots of fun. The information is endless. Hope that helps some. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom