Canadians check in here....

Hi! This year I am hatching my own chicks! Pretty excited about the whole thing! Which eggs would you hatch? My rooster is a Barnevelder. With an Easter egger, Olive egger, Welsummer, Splash Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, BLR Wyndotte, Salmon Faverolle, Barred Rock and Blue Amerucauna? Those are my egg choices. Thoughts?
I don't know anything about chicken genetics, so I would choose eggs that are a good large size as I have heard that smaller (pullet) eggs might not have enough room for the growing chick and from hens that you particularly like for any reason such as egg colour, friendliness, egg production or heartiness.

I am also considering hatching although I don't have a rooster, but I am wondering if it would be safer to hatch local fertilized eggs vs importing chicks with regards to avian flu.

I don't know anything about chicken genetics, so I would choose eggs that are a good large size as I have heard that smaller (pullet) eggs might not have enough room for the growing chick and from hens that you particularly like for any reason such as egg colour, friendliness, egg production or heartiness.

I am also considering hatching although I don't have a rooster, but I am wondering if it would be safer to hatch local fertilized eggs vs importing chicks with regards to avian flu.
I had imported chicks last year from the USA. They were imported to a BC farm, shipped to Alberta and I ordered from the Alberta store online. No issues. These chicks were originally shipped from Ideal Hatchery and McMurray Hatchery.

I had imported chicks last year from the USA. They were imported to a BC farm, shipped to Alberta and I ordered from the Alberta store online. No issues. These chicks were originally shipped from Ideal Hatchery and McMurray Hatchery.

Thanks for the big egg tip!

Hi! This year I am hatching my own chicks! Pretty excited about the whole thing! Which eggs would you hatch? My rooster is a Barnevelder. With an Easter egger, Olive egger, Welsummer, Splash Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, BLR Wyndotte, Salmon Faverolle, Barred Rock and Blue Amerucauna? Those are my egg choices. Thoughts?
I agree that just go and pick those you want, or make it a mix and see what you get!

I have eggs in the 'bator right now, should hatch next weekend. Barnyard mix, all different colours and sizes (bantams and big 'uns). Replied to a local Kijiji ad that were selling 'farm fresh eggs' and got four dozen for $12! So far, there are 31 that are still going. Need to candle again.

Can't wait to see what comes out of them!

I agree that just go and pick those you want, or make it a mix and see what you get!

I have eggs in the 'bator right now, should hatch next weekend. Barnyard mix, all different colours and sizes (bantams and big 'uns). Replied to a local Kijiji ad that were selling 'farm fresh eggs' and got four dozen for $12! So far, there are 31 that are still going. Need to candle again.

Can't wait to see what comes out of them!
Fantastic! Would love to see them hatched! Can't beat that price!

Fantastic! Would love to see them hatched! Can't beat that price!
IKR?? The two roosters in with the hens were a Dorking and a Rhode Island Red. The hens were a mix of all sorts, so...

My daughter is partial to bantams, and I prefer the bigger birds, so expect a fight as to which stay and which go to freezer camp! Then again, she owns the property...

Back
Top Bottom