Canadians check in here....

Temps around here have been all over the place. Last week, I think we broke records for hottest day, but this week we're back to meh and at the freezing point at night.

You're in the Laurentians, right? I'm in the Lanark Highlands area, so elevated but not so much as you.
Yup Laurentians, which is really just a big stack of rocks. It is God'a landfill ;) with a little bit of leaf litter on top to grow moss. No big surprise there were not a lot of farms in this area. (Which is how it became a vacation area, lots of lakes but no farmable land)

Yup Laurentians, which is really just a big stack of rocks. It is God'a landfill ;) with a little bit of leaf litter on top to grow moss. No big surprise there were not a lot of farms in this area. (Which is how it became a vacation area, lots of lakes but no farmable land)
That's around here too, to most extents. There are some farms, but usually just livestock. We're on the Canadian Shield, and even have slabs of exposed bedrock that's been gouged out by the retreating glaciers.

Digging is a pain...

In 2020 Performance Poultry still had Golden Laced Cochins- my favourite type of bantam cochin. I picked up 11 Lemon Blue Old English Game bantams from them last year which actually turned out to be a pair of silver blues, 6 splash pullets and 3 blue pullets. Two of the splash died. One must've gotten wet by the waterer and the hen wasn't big enough to cover 11 chicks. One of the splash my son was trying to catch and accidentally broke her neck when she was about a month old. I didn't see on Performance's website that they don't recommend letting children under 5 handle them until too late as my son was 4 last year.

When you stated you can't get your order is it due to the time frame? PP does sometimes have extra birds available if you email or call them to ask.

Most of their birds are sourced from Ideal Poultry in Texas. I've ordered from that hatchery since I lived in the U.S in 2003 so I am glad to have found a supplier of their birds as it costs $300 for them to get health papers (fyi McMurray charges $75) plus if you live in this side of Canada and want to pick them up in Ogdensburg, NY you would need to rent a mailbox for a minimum of 3 months. They do 3 months, 6 months or a year which is somewhere around $100-150.

The pair of silver blues were rehomed to a lady in North Gower along with a splash and a blue pullet. I am picking up my order (specifics are in my signature) on Saturday April 29 and rehoming the last blue pullet to a lady from North Bay who is also picking up her order of chicks the same day. Then two splash pullets Chris maybe I can drop them off and we can arrange a trade pick up (a silver duckwing and a black breasted red pullet and/or the splash pullets' offspring) when I return from my trip from the Toronto area in October? You can PM me more about that if you want.

A blue pullet passed away this past winter, the only bird I lost.

I will be rehoming most of my PP order from this spring. If you or anyone you know are interested in OEGB or bantam Easter Eggers, feel free to let me know or PM :)

I saw that you are interested in their Pearl OEGB. I wanted to order them but didn't since they weren't in their price list so I didn't think they were available. Maybe next year.

Lemon Blue May 11th hatch 2022:

image (2).png

The three remaining splash pullets:

image.png

The pullet that was closest to lemon blue that passed in the winter.
thumbnail_image (1).png

One of the other two blue pullets
thumbnail_image (2).png
thumbnail_image.png

A pearl hen that I had gotten from Ideal Poultry in 2011 when I was living in California.
thumbnail_IMG_0256.jpg

Fawn silver hen from that same hatch
thumbnail_IMG_0265.jpg

2022 buff cochin mom and the OEGB chicks
thumbnail_IMG_0479.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0617.jpg

The only cockerel from the hatch, a silver blue
thumbnail_IMG_0764.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1248.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1256.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1257.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1358.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0762.jpg
Once the buff hen Buttercup was done taking care of them at around two months, the head of the pecking order, the white cochin Snowball adopted them.

thumbnail_IMG_0611.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0585.jpg

Well my son and husband are coming home soon so I apologize that the pictures are all out of order...if I had more time I would reorder them but I need to set up my son's replacement tablet.

In 2020 Performance Poultry still had Golden Laced Cochins- my favourite type of bantam cochin. I picked up 11 Lemon Blue Old English Game bantams from them last year which actually turned out to be a pair of silver blues, 6 splash pullets and 3 blue pullets. Two of the splash died. One must've gotten wet by the waterer and the hen wasn't big enough to cover 11 chicks. One of the splash my son was trying to catch and accidentally broke her neck when she was about a month old. I didn't see on Performance's website that they don't recommend letting children under 5 handle them until too late as my son was 4 last year.

When you stated you can't get your order is it due to the time frame? PP does sometimes have extra birds available if you email or call them to ask.

Most of their birds are sourced from Ideal Poultry in Texas. I've ordered from that hatchery since I lived in the U.S in 2003 so I am glad to have found a supplier of their birds as it costs $300 for them to get health papers (fyi McMurray charges $75) plus if you live in this side of Canada and want to pick them up in Ogdensburg, NY you would need to rent a mailbox for a minimum of 3 months. They do 3 months, 6 months or a year which is somewhere around $100-150.

The pair of silver blues were rehomed to a lady in North Gower along with a splash and a blue pullet. I am picking up my order (specifics are in my signature) on Saturday April 29 and rehoming the last blue pullet to a lady from North Bay who is also picking up her order of chicks the same day. Then two splash pullets Chris maybe I can drop them off and we can arrange a trade pick up (a silver duckwing and a black breasted red pullet and/or the splash pullets' offspring) when I return from my trip from the Toronto area in October? You can PM me more about that if you want.

A blue pullet passed away this past winter, the only bird I lost.

I will be rehoming most of my PP order from this spring. If you or anyone you know are interested in OEGB or bantam Easter Eggers, feel free to let me know or PM :)

I saw that you are interested in their Pearl OEGB. I wanted to order them but didn't since they weren't in their price list so I didn't think they were available. Maybe next year.

Lemon Blue May 11th hatch 2022:

View attachment 3476412

The three remaining splash pullets:

View attachment 3476413

The pullet that was closest to lemon blue that passed in the winter.
View attachment 3476414
One of the other two blue pullets
View attachment 3476416View attachment 3476417

A pearl hen that I had gotten from Ideal Poultry in 2011 when I was living in California.
View attachment 3476418

Fawn silver hen from that same hatch
View attachment 3476419

2022 buff cochin mom and the OEGB chicks
View attachment 3476420
View attachment 3476423

The only cockerel from the hatch, a silver blue View attachment 3476425View attachment 3476426View attachment 3476427View attachment 3476428View attachment 3476429
View attachment 3476424 Once the buff hen Buttercup was done taking care of them at around two months, the head of the pecking order, the white cochin Snowball adopted them.

View attachment 3476422View attachment 3476421
Well my son and husband are coming home soon so I apologize that the pictures are all out of order...if I had more time I would reorder them but I need to set up my son's replacement tablet.
Wow, from California to Gatineau, that's BRAVE!!!

And yes, still interested in trading! Especially if you get Red Pyle! LOL!

Do your ducks come out and eat mosquitoes on the surface of the water in the morning? I love watching them scoot around the pond in the morning and eat up the nasty little blood eating bugs.
No, the only pond I have is way back in the woods (which is probably where all the skeeters are coming from!) and the ducks aren't allowed there.

BUT, the dragonflies have started to arrive! We should be able to see a reduction in the number of vampire-bugs soon!

Back
Top Bottom