Canadians check in here....

I'd love to have Chantecler's; they're on the top of my want list for Standard breeds I think. Especially because they're a Canadian heritage breed. They come in white or partridge in colour and have small combs and wattles and have been bred to better handle the colder climates here. They're a good dual-purpose breed. I'm finding they're extremely hard to come by though, so if anybody can hook me up with breeders that'd be fantastic.

Hi Surgeet. What are the Chantecler like and why do you want more? I don't think I've seen them before.
Chantecler is Canada's only true breed of chicken. It was created by a monk near Oka in the early 20th century. They were bred to be dual purpose chicken that could withstand Canada's extreme temperature. They can go outside as low as -20 to -25 no problem, they are really good layers, just under 300 eggs per year, and they don't need additional lighting in the winter to keep producing normally. They are very rare in the US and in some area of Canada, fortunatly there are a few breeders in Atlantic Canada. We plan on eventually just having Chanteclers and Australorps.

Hi Surjeet and EyeHeart

Thank you for the info on Chanteclers. They sound like great layers for cold Canadian winters!

300 eggs/year! Wow! Frankly, my silver pencilled PRs cannot hold a candle to that! I have my work cut out for me to try to evolve my current small flock of 8 SPPR pullets and 1 SPPR hen, plus numerous roosters, into a respectable egg=laying flock --many years in the future. I expect this will take many years, but it is my "retirement project".
old.gif
I'm not even retired yet, but I'm starting to think about it.
yesss.gif

My first pullet has just started laying. The Buff Orpington has given me six eggs a week for three weeks now. I'm happy and waiting to see if the Barred Rock and Columbian Wyandotte can compete. My next temptation are a couple of Gold Laced Polish hens, one year old. I like the idea of pretty birds and differently coloured eggs. If I could find a Cream Legbar for true-blue eggs I'd be thrilled.

I'd love to have Chantecler's; they're on the top of my want list for Standard breeds I think. Especially because they're a Canadian heritage breed. They come in white or partridge in colour and have small combs and wattles and have been bred to better handle the colder climates here. They're a good dual-purpose breed. I'm finding they're extremely hard to come by though, so if anybody can hook me up with breeders that'd be fantastic.
Performance Poultry here in Ontario sells Chanteclers in white, partridge and also buff - www.performancepoultry.com - check out the 'poultry' page -> 'rare and unusual breeds' page.
They are one of my favourite breeds.

I live in Powell River, BC - just up the Sunshine Coast from Vancouver!

We've been involved in the backyard chicken project and I'm going to be raising some chicks for some friends this fall :)

Back
Top Bottom