cancer in labs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pokey, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    See below.stupid phone giving me fits

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Our 4 year old lab seems to be dieing of cancer of the liver. Our vet is going to do more bloodwork next week,for a recheck to see how the medicine is doing.I am afraid its not helping and don't think he will be with us much longer.he is 4.has anyone else had a lab die of cancer? Our other lab is about 8 and very healthy

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't know about labs, but our last two goldens have died of cancer in their teens. It is prevalent in goldens, but I am not sure about labs. You have my deepest sympathy.[​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry. [​IMG]

5. nurturingnaturally

nurturingnaturally Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    So sorry! Our younger weim (well, she lived with my folks) just passed from cancer. Seems so prevalent nowadays, very sad

6. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    They say that for certain breeds, certain ages can be milestones for some breeds. Such as age 7 for Akita's. age 4 -7 for Aussie cattle dogs.
    That if they don't get something by that time, you are ok, the same for age 7 for some breeds of dogs, ( I think discounting giant breeds, that if those dogs live pas age 9 you are doing great!!)

I am so sorry you are going through this. I would if I were you see how well your dog's breed has faired with chemo or radiation treatment IF that is an option for you.
    We found out through much heartache that after our 4 yr old ACD came down with lymphoma cancer that her breed was one of the ones that "falls through the cracks", we lived in California at the time and spent, around
    3000 in chemo treatments only later to find out it did nothing for her. Round trip visits to UC Davis, for 2 to 3 months...
    So when we found out our 11-12 yr old ACD had lumps on her liver and pancreas, we opted to have her put down, as she had been throwing up blood, and she suffered for a week, while another vet kept suggesting
    she take something to calm her stomach... The vet that found the lumps was SHOCKED when we opted for having her put down. We knew though, we knew and he hadn't been as familiar with the breed as we were.
    Why put a dog through that if you know it won't do any good.
    BUT if it can help save your dog, and if you have the insurance or the money, go for it!!!

But hugs either way!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My aunt lost her Golden Rev/Lab cross girl to cancer three months ago. Lived to be 8 or 9 years old.

So sorry about your baby, hope you can find the right decision for him.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by