Candle Wax on Egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have "heard" that if there is a slight crack in an egg, you can put liquid candle wax over the crack and give the chick a better chance, as well as protect the other eggs...for the time being.

I have a VERY sensitive nose and know when an egg is about to asplode (yes...I said ASPLODE) and this one does not have that smell. There is "something" growing in there, but I'd hate to ruin it's chances by just throwing it out with the "bad" eggs.

I already applied some candle wax to it, but can always scrape it off and try again. Can someone walk me through the steps?

I melted some candle wax from a scented candle (I know! I know! It was all I had!) and put it on there with a butter knife. I then scraped some of it off to make it more "smooth".

Will the high humidity in the incubator cause it to melt? Will the high temps cause it to melt?

Any info is GREATLY appreciated! (Especially from those of you who have had luck with this endeavor!)

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would have used a non-scented candle. But that might work just fine.

I use pure beeswax, and hold it over the egg, and let the drips fall on the crack.

I did that 2 years ago with a sebright egg, and it hatched just fine.

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I was wodering the same thing. I had about five cracked eggs from my annoying hen who wanted to eat the eggs. Luckly she only made a minor crack. Thanks, -Jay

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I grabbed an unscented tea light and used it, the egg hatched fine. You can also use birthday candles....

5. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    AWESOME! I just had an egg ding a tiny bit, not enough to rupture the membrane and I was wondering if there was anything I could do. I'm gonna wax it the minute I get home.

THANKS!

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If I had any birthday candles...that would have been an excellent idea! Better than my stinkin' butter knife idea...LOL

Do you think the scented candle wax will hurt it? Or should I go and get some tea lights real quick?

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:honestly I'm not sure, I think somone here did it, but don't know how it did [​IMG]

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We have one in the bator right now with candle wax on it, no membrane rupture and the wax hasn't melted, it is a little tacky though. It looked ok when we candled a few days ago, hope it hatches!! [​IMG]
    (it got cracked in a turning by hand accident)

9. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Well, I have eggs that are hatching today!! I have 1/2 a chick out!!!!

The other egg with candle wax...looks like it's still growing, but it's WAY behind the others, maybe needs another 4 days? It doesn't smell, so it's not bad.

Is there still a chance????

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wish you luck with the waxed one, ours didn't make it, it just quit on us [​IMG] I hope you have a better outcome!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by