Candled @ 4 days and I saw LIFE!!

Chicks_N_Horses

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
South Alabama
Ok, I hope I don't jinx myself here by screaming it to the world but my hubby isn't home so I have to tell someone! LOL

My lavender orpinton eggs have some life in them!

wee.gif

I only saw 2 I know for sure that were developing. I think the rest all are too, but I know 2 for sure are. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch though but I am crossing my fingers and saying my prayers that all these babies make it!!! I have fried a batch of eggs before
fl.gif

celebrate.gif

I have seen life at day 4 but check over the next couple of days or wait til day 7. I actually just put some lavender ameracaunas (sp?) in the bator this morning.

My first sucessful batch I hatched, I think I candled every day....
roll.png

I had to check really quick while I was turning them. I am going to try again at day 7 or 10. I am going to try to restrain myself from candling every day on these eggs.

Who would've ever thought seeing a chick inside of an egg could give you such a 'high'!! LOL

I love the Orpington breed! They are my favorite. I only have one buff right now though. I can't wait to have lavender ones. I want some bantam orps too.

I also have some cochin eggs in the bator from a lady on here. I really hope they hatch too. They just went in though.

Last edited:
Congratulations..... and keep on cooking.

I candled last night at 6 days. I got nothing. Nada, zip, blank. It was just an experiment with 6 mutt eggs that someone gave me. Not even sure the age or fertility. New incubator is running beautifully, temp and humidity right on target. Waiting for a shipment of Silkie eggs to put in. I hope I have growth then. This will be my first batch of hatching eggs in decades. Last time I hatched anything (1974, wow that's a long time ago) out was in a homemade incubator. Hatched out a batch of chickens and Muscovy ducks. Haven't tried it since because it was such a bear controlling temps on those old wafer style things. Humidity I didn't even know about. Looking back I'm surprised I got any to hatch at all. I think the Brinsea Eco I just got is going to be fantastic. Light years ahead of what I used years ago.

Quote:
LOL Yep, that was a bit of time ago....I wasn't even born then!
ep.gif

Close...I'm knockin' on 30's door
hide.gif

I hope all of your chicks hatch though!!!!

Last edited:
C&H wrote:

Who would've ever thought seeing a chick inside of an egg could give you such a 'high'!! LOL

Why do you suppose folks are addicted to this? LOL
George Straight does a song "I Saw God Today" and when I see life inside the shell, well, I sing that song.
love.gif

My heart actually skips ... it takes my breath away. I hope I never get used to it.

Congrats and best wishes for a great hatch!​

Last edited:
Well, I did it....again...
cool.png
I candled this morning during a turning session....I do it carefully and quickly so I don't think I am slimming my chances by looking...??...I really am not going to look again until day 10....I hope. I go monitor the bator every 20 minutes...really. I can't stop. LOL I won't even leave the house to go to the store or my daughters softball games in fear of something happening to cause them not to hatch.
roll.png

5 lavender eggs have movement in them!!! I can't see veins like most say but I see little dark spots that are moving about. I have a total of 8 lav. eggs incubating. I really hope the other 3 develop. It is still early so maybe I will see more at day 10.

If I can just get these 5 to make it I will be the happiest woman BYC has ever seen!

My hubby very sweetly got them for me because he said he was going to go nuts with me going on and on and on and on about adding lav. orps. to my flock.
tongue.png
I love orpingtons!

wow, only day 5! Seems like it has already been 21 days since I put them in.....this is going to be a long wait.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL Yep, that was a bit of time ago....I wasn't even born then!
ep.gif

Close...I'm knockin' on 30's door
hide.gif

I hope all of your chicks hatch though!!!!

Well....good luck to the first post!
fl.gif
Lavender....oh pretty!

As for the 30's door.....
gig.gif
....YUP I JUST crossed that line last month!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom