Candling DARK eggs

Photokitty

Chirping
Jul 6, 2017
Marlinton, West Virginia
When do you make a verdict on dark eggs? I am on Day 7 and to be honest on either side of the egg I can't see any veins in the eggs. I can't even see the air cell from the smaller side but I can see it if I shine the light on the fat end. I don't flip the eggs I just shine it from the top down. I can't see anything else besides that. I only had 4 non-starters from my other lighter eggs of 41 (as far as I can tell).

C165B474-C6CF-4134-B062-59F0756112DD.jpeg
You have to accept you just can’t candle some eggs..I’ve got several this batch that I simply have no idea at all what’s inside...I’ll just leave them in there and hope for the best..I’m on Day 14 ..
:ya

Dark eggs are extremely difficult to candle as you have discovered. However, the fact that you can see the air cell is really all you need. Mark and monitor the progress of the air cell through incubation, if the air cell is growing, usually all is well.

I have a dark egg I was able to see an air cell on until a week ago. It’s end of day 22 and hatch mates have all hatched. (This was the only Marans). How much longer do I wait?

When you candle the egg, is the air cell about a third of the way down the egg? If you hold the egg up to your ear can you hear a tapping noise? I have had Marans hatch on day 23 but they required assistance. If you hear anything, put the egg back in the bator, goose the humidity again and wait. Are all of your other hatchlings out of the bator now?

The others are out. The air cell looked ok on lockdown but I can’t see an outline anymore. When I hold the egg in my hand I can feel movement inside. I should maybe make a safety hole by the end of today if it hasn’t pipped? I am worried I can’t see where the chick is in the shell because it’s too dark and I’ll hurt it :(

mcclucker if you can feel movement inside and can see the air cell gently tap a blunt pair of tweezers until u see cracks forming then gently move the shell away and pick open the membrane you might have to help this chick hatch. I also have some dark blue-green lavender aruacana eggs and its 2 weeks and all I can see now is the air cell lol.

Back
Top Bottom