candling issue. .

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I made a candling contraption yesterday with the intentions of checking my eggs in the incubator(my first batch ever) and I tested the candler on some of my sex links brown eggs from the fridge, worked great. Then I went to the incubator and got a few of the EE eggs in there and I couldnt see even the slightest bit of light into the egg?? Is it something to do with the blue eggs? darker shell color to see through? I am guessing I just need a higher wattage bulb. I used a 75w(highest I could find at the house) and that worked good on the brown eggs. What wattage is reccommended?

I used a round cardboard oatmeal can, mounted a socket onto the plastic lid and covered the plastic with dark blue construction paper to not let any light get out, then I drilled a hole in the bottom that was not quite a 1/4" diameter for the light to get thru. By setting my brown eggs on the hole you can see right into them. But the blue, green, and khaki eggs i couldnt see a thing.

Blue, green and the real dark brown (Marans) eggs are harder to see through. Try enlarging your light hole to about 1 inch. Hold the large end of the egg to the hole so the light enters through the air cell, and candle in a darkened room.

I made a small wood box out of 3/4" boards (I think it was old shelf particle board) mounted a light fixture with a 150 w flood light in it. I put a thin wood cover on with a hole drilled in it. The 3/4" wood makes it heavy and stable, but even with this set-up I still have issues with darker eggs. I can see in them but cannot tell until I get a well developed chick, the clear ones I can see the embryo and the veins.

my unfertile eggs (green) shell turned darker after the first day or 2 of incubation not sure if it was because of not being fertile. what dose it look like before you put it into the incubator?

I use a dome light with a flood light bulb (90w) then take a second dome light unscrew the dome turn it upside down and duct tape it to the other one and put some tin foil on the tiny side holes

Back
Top Bottom