Candling turkey and duck eggs in a homemade kerosene lantern incubator

I can't wait for the hatch. I am excited. I hope all goes well. I will take the lessons I learnt from this hatch and use it while incubating the guinea fowl eggs in the near future. Hopefully, I will be able to control humidity as it will be in the rainy season which is when guinea fowls lay eggs.
That's the only way to do it. I learn something new with every hatch.
I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some ideas for the humidity issue. I don't usually have a problem with humidity in my incubator so I've no suggestions...
I have guineas but I don't know if they can ever be tamed. Mine are wild although I still trim their feathers from time to time to prevent flight. Once they fly, they can be stolen so I don't take chances. Noisy screechy birds though.
Oh I'd love to see pics of them if you can post some. What color are they?
I remember hearing a story of a woman who did the same thing. She'd hatch eggs for her neighbors. She'd gauge the temperature and placement of her basket by placing her bare foot on the hearth in front of the stove.

In Egypt, they had huge walk in incubators. They would hatch hundreds of eggs at a time. The workers were trained to know if the temperature was right by how the temperature would feel to them as they walked into the bators to tend the eggs.
I have a wood burning kitchen stove and parlor stove I cook on and we have all learned to judge temp by feel.
It's been a experience,but well worth it!

When we built our house we had a wonderful Papa Bear stove. It was absolutely wonderful for cooking as well as providing heat. But, it was too much stove for the size of our house so we sold it. Fire brick lined, and the top was 2 levels, so plenty of heat options for the soup kettle. We now have a tiny little Jotul. A good stove, but no where near as good a stove as that Papa Bear! Can't cook on the Jotul. But, I do bake potatoes in it!

When we built our house we had a wonderful Papa Bear stove. It was absolutely wonderful for cooking as well as providing heat. But, it was too much stove for the size of our house so we sold it. Fire brick lined, and the top was 2 levels, so plenty of heat options for the soup kettle. We now have a tiny little Jotul. A good stove, but no where near as good a stove as that Papa Bear! Can't cook on the Jotul. But, I do bake potatoes in it!
I'll have to look that up, I've not heard of a jotul. My kitchen stove is a 1937 homecomfort. I love it!

I can't wait for the hatch. I am excited. I hope all goes well. I will take the lessons I learnt from this hatch and use it while incubating the guinea fowl eggs in the near future. Hopefully, I will be able to control humidity as it will be in the rainy season which is when guinea fowls lay eggs.

4 duck eggs have red veins and dark spots running through them right now. The remaining 2 are just clear. About 2 of the turkey eggs are also clear. I am guessing this means they are infertile. I will keep updating you all about the hatch.

4 duck eggs have red veins and dark spots running through them right now. The remaining 2 are just clear. About 2 of the turkey eggs are also clear. I am guessing this means they are infertile. I will keep updating you all about the hatch.
That's awesome!!!
Yes the clear ones are infertile.
If you haven't already, go ahead and remove those.
I'm excited for you!!!! :celebrate

Where there is will, there is a way . I hope everyone of them hatch for you. your temperatures sound good and not sure how it will work for you but high humidity can be controlled to an extent with some dry rice . Maybe tie some bags up in nylon material or something porous . Good luck to you and welcome to BYC :hugs

Where there is will, there is a way . I hope everyone of them hatch for you. your temperatures sound good and not sure how it will work for you but high humidity can be controlled to an extent with some dry rice . Maybe tie some bags up in nylon material or something porous . Good luck to you and welcome to BYC :hugs
That's really interesting. Definitely going to research how that works. Obviously I know very little about dry ice...lol

Back
Top Bottom