Canker in mouth

GenGen3

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2021
Hello. I was given a chicken with a very large canker in her mouth. She's still able to eat but it's a bit of a struggle. I have viewed some other threads on this site about cankers but I live in Canada and can't get many meds that are available in the US. Any treatment advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello. I was given a chicken with a very large canker in her mouth. She's still able to eat but it's a bit of a struggle. I have viewed some other threads on this site about cankers but I live in Canada and can't get many meds that are available in the US. Any treatment advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Do you have pics?

I would not accept a chicken from someone else with canker. It is contagious to other chickens and fowl. It is carried by pigeons, and can be treated, but it is a protozoa that is hard to cure. Your whole flock will carry it. Many people cull chickens with canker. It is difficult to do that to your own chicken with a flock that has already been exposed, but I would never bring one into my flock.

Can you get acidified copper sulfate in Canada? Make sure nit to use copper sulfate, but acidified copper sulfate. A vet can prescribe metronidazole, Flagyl, Fish zole, or ronidazole to treat it.

Sometimes what is thought to be canker can be cancer of the beak, wet fowl pox, or a fungal infection (candida or yeast.) Does it have a bad odor? It can invade the throat and crop, making it hard to swallow, eat, and crop function.

I would not accept a chicken from someone else with canker. It is contagious to other chickens and fowl. It is carried by pigeons, and can be treated, but it is a protozoa that is hard to cure. Your whole flock will carry it. Many people cull chickens with canker. It is difficult to do that to your own chicken with a flock that has already been exposed, but I would never bring one into my flock.

Can you get acidified copper sulfate in Canada? Make sure nit to use copper sulfate, but acidified copper sulfate. A vet can prescribe metronidazole, Flagyl, Fish zole, or ronidazole to treat it.

Sometimes what is thought to be canker can be cancer of the beak, wet fowl pox, or a fungal infection (candida or yeast.) Does it have a bad odor? It can invade the throat and crop, making it hard to swallow, eat, and crop function.
Hello. Thank you for the reply. She was one of the first chickens we ever had and i unfortunately didn't know any better. And yes her breath stinks. I have ordered some fishzole so hopefully that works.

Has the canker become larger or seems the same? Let us know if the fish zole helps.
Yes it started to become very large. So much so that her one eye was almost completely closed shut. I received another good tip that seems to be working - I've been putting canesten in her mouth twice a day to treat the canker. I also removed a portion of it safely with tweezers so she is still able to eat and breathe.

Back
Top Bottom