Cannibalism ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by got2bskilled, Feb 26, 2011.

1. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    OK, we all know that we have fed out chickens hard boiled or scrambled eggs from time to time. Even egg shells.

My question to you is, do you think that is cannibalistic?

After talking to my mother in law, and thinking about it, I feel conflicted on the subject now.

We think these things are healthy... but could there be a negitive side effect?

2. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I guess I am the only one who thinks this might be cannibalism.

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    definitely NOT!

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    No they are not eating chicken they are eating a normal protein source
    I personnaly dont feed eggs back to my flock just because I dont want to in anyway encourage egg eaters
    Other than that leave a egg in there on the ground for a day or 2 and you will see its normal ( a chicken will eat almost anything)

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't think it is so. The eggs you feed to them are either infertile, or only fertilized in the stage that there's practically no life, if not just a couple cells or less in there. . . Otherwise, they're doing the same any other animal does. If a chicken won't eat the eggs, nearly any other animal, omnivore or carnivore, will eat it. [​IMG] Really, the white and yolk are just something the hen produced from what she previously ate and what her body produces. . . .

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    No. You could compare egg yolk to breast milk. They serve the same function when it gets down to it. Chickens will eat meat off of a cooked chicken. When it comes down to it, though, any omnivorous or carnivorous animal will eat meat if it is just laying there. To them, it is just food.

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:[​IMG]

Me, I do not see feeding a cracked or damaged egg that is disquised back to the chickens. I too see it as somewhat like milk. I personally do not see it as cannibalism.

As far as feeding chicken to chicken...No I do not do that. IMO cannibalism does not occur often in a natural healthy environment for for a chicken so I do not promote it.

To me cannibalism seems wrong for anything but fish..

ON

8. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    hi,
    I dont like them to eat there own product. plus it can create a situation where they will peck there own eggs in the coop before we get to them..
    I understand some of u feel different and thats ok! im not trying to be disrespectful..its fun to share all ideas.
    Well, it just doesnt feel right to feed them byproducts of thier own species or thier own eggs.
    have a good day!!

9. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I feed my parrot chicken all the time
    Okay not my chickens..lol
    My chicks are still in the house and I have them for egg laying

My parrots, when we have fried chicken, baked chicken, grilled chicken

Mmn.mmn..they love it

So I can only imagine how my chickens are going to love it too
    And what an awesome source of protein
    Xoxo

10. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    cannabalism is eating the FLESH of ones own kind. Which brings up the question of is the egg a chicken or an egg? To me it looks like an egg. There are exceptions in "nature" and as I have said before just because it is natural does not mean it is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by