Cannibalism ?

got2bskilled

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Virginia
OK, we all know that we have fed out chickens hard boiled or scrambled eggs from time to time. Even egg shells.

My question to you is, do you think that is cannibalistic?

After talking to my mother in law, and thinking about it, I feel conflicted on the subject now.

We think these things are healthy... but could there be a negitive side effect?

No they are not eating chicken they are eating a normal protein source
I personnaly dont feed eggs back to my flock just because I dont want to in anyway encourage egg eaters
Other than that leave a egg in there on the ground for a day or 2 and you will see its normal ( a chicken will eat almost anything)

I don't think it is so. The eggs you feed to them are either infertile, or only fertilized in the stage that there's practically no life, if not just a couple cells or less in there. . . Otherwise, they're doing the same any other animal does. If a chicken won't eat the eggs, nearly any other animal, omnivore or carnivore, will eat it.
wink.png
Really, the white and yolk are just something the hen produced from what she previously ate and what her body produces. . . .

No. You could compare egg yolk to breast milk. They serve the same function when it gets down to it. Chickens will eat meat off of a cooked chicken. When it comes down to it, though, any omnivorous or carnivorous animal will eat meat if it is just laying there. To them, it is just food.

Quote:
old.gif

Me, I do not see feeding a cracked or damaged egg that is disquised back to the chickens. I too see it as somewhat like milk. I personally do not see it as cannibalism.

As far as feeding chicken to chicken...No I do not do that. IMO cannibalism does not occur often in a natural healthy environment for for a chicken so I do not promote it.

To me cannibalism seems wrong for anything but fish..

ON

hi,
I dont like them to eat there own product. plus it can create a situation where they will peck there own eggs in the coop before we get to them..
I understand some of u feel different and thats ok! im not trying to be disrespectful..its fun to share all ideas.
Well, it just doesnt feel right to feed them byproducts of thier own species or thier own eggs.
have a good day!!

I feed my parrot chicken all the time
Okay not my chickens..lol
My chicks are still in the house and I have them for egg laying

My parrots, when we have fried chicken, baked chicken, grilled chicken

Mmn.mmn..they love it

So I can only imagine how my chickens are going to love it too
And what an awesome source of protein
Xoxo

cannabalism is eating the FLESH of ones own kind. Which brings up the question of is the egg a chicken or an egg? To me it looks like an egg. There are exceptions in "nature" and as I have said before just because it is natural does not mean it is best.

Back
Top Bottom