Canning and Home preserving

Have you canned pumpkin before?
I am just wondering how it tastes after canning.
I haven't! That's why I was asking what would be the best way to preserve it? I want some for our own use and I want some for the chickens over the winter months. For the chickens, I'm thinking about cooking it and cutting it into chunks and then freezing it!

Been canning for 20'ish years, but mainly water-bath stuff -- jams, tomato-based stuff. Finally used my pressure cooker for fresh corn a few years back, and it's still delicious. Made rosemary jelly this year. My 1st jelly. My favorite recipe is tomato jam, and my fig free is finally producing enough figs for jam.
Can you share your tomato jam recipe? I made 2 different recipes this year and they were...meh, at best.

Pumpkins can be stored for months. The best place is actually inside straw bales assuming you aren’t overrun with rodents.
I just used some of my canned pumpkin. It tastes the same as when I use it fresh.
Thank you! I don't really have straw, but they would probably be okay down in the basement...it's cooler down there...so I'm thinking I might do three different things...can some for pies later on & I will freeze some after I've cut into the stored ones for the chickens.

I am very limited on space in my kitchen so I do a lot of dehydrating. We like tomato or squash chips, apple chips too. I dehydrate leftover veggies and fruit and sometimes process into a powder to use in smoothies. I also freeze a lot of
1DC7007C-9EFA-4344-A8D0-DED55FC81908.jpeg
ECA8A338-D301-4AE3-A7B3-AC0C206B55B4.jpeg
stuff in vacuum sealed bags.

I’m currently experimenting with fermenting fruit and veggies. I tried pickles, not great; lesson learned is don’t use a pickling spice mix because cloves are not a good addition! I’ll try those again when I can find some decent pickling cukes or the weather cools enough to grow some. I’m currently fermenting garlic and blueberries. Here’s the garlic. It’ll ferment for about three months and then give it a try

I am very limited on space in my kitchen so I do a lot of dehydrating. We like tomato or squash chips, apple chips too. I dehydrate leftover veggies and fruit and sometimes process into a powder to use in smoothies. I also freeze a lot of View attachment 2356389View attachment 2356390stuff in vacuum sealed bags.

I’m currently experimenting with fermenting fruit and veggies. I tried pickles, not great; lesson learned is don’t use a pickling spice mix because cloves are not a good addition! I’ll try those again when I can find some decent pickling cukes or the weather cools enough to grow some. I’m currently fermenting garlic and blueberries. Here’s the garlic. It’ll ferment for about three months and then give it a try
I agree. Honestly hate commercial pickling spice mix. I make my own for whatever recipe I am making. Make lots of pickles in this house. Have my own little spice recipes that I am quite happy with for Dilly beans, Dill pickles, sweet pickles, pickled cherry tomatoes, pickled green tomatoes and pickled asparagus. ACV for pickling is also a no go for me. Not so bad for my green tomatoes but once combined with commercial pickling spice it just makes everything worse. Worst pickled beans I ever made in my life 😂

Back
Top Bottom