Canning Chicken Noodle Soup?

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
So I cooked my first chicken last night for dinner (it was yummy!) and I'm planning on using the carcass tonight to make chicken noodle soup. Since it's a little warm to be eating soup, I was planning on canning it for this winter.

I'm flashing back to Thanksgiving when I made turkey noodle soup. If I leave the pasta in the soup, it absorbs all the liquid. I don't want that to happen with the soup I'm making tonight.

Is there any way to make the soup with the noodles in it and can it without the pasta absorbing the stock??? I can't find anything about pasta in my canning book or on line...

Thanks!

I looked in my canning books too. They are just adding the noodles before freezing.
How about just make the soup and canning it without the noodles. Then add the noodles when you are ready to eat the soup? Just an idea.

As far as I know...it is not recomended. You either make chicken stock to can or chicken soup with all the ingredients except the noodles ...then you add the noodles when you prepare it.

I think campbell's get's away with it only through a great deal of preservers!

Commercially prepared soups are cooked for the most part in the can after it has been sealed. We even saw the entire process for noodle soup on one of those 'how do they do that' shows on discovery or tlc maybe even A&E - I can't remember which channel.

A pressure canner must be used if you are canning soups. Leave the noodles out and add them when you are going to prepare the soup for your meal. I have seen the noodles added raw into the jar but it will still get mushy after time.

I have had fairly good luck with freezing the soups instead.

I agree. We don't add noodles or macaroni to the soup we store because they do get soggy! We either cook the pasta when we heat up the soup or freeze portions of pasta for the soup (remember to cook the pasta al dente). You can drop the frozen pasta in the soup as it re-heats! Yum!

Brian

Just a thought...

Can you jar it like tomato sauce?

It seems a better use of space to not use noodles until your ready to eat it.

Campbells soup is gross anyways.

I always make a huge batch when I do soups. I only add noodles to the portion we will be eating. I freeze the other portions (no noodles) in bread pans, (it makes a perfect sized meal for us 3) when they are frozen I take them and put them in a freezer bag. When we want soup I thaw one bag in the sink while I'm at work , then when I get home I throw it in the pot to heat it, cook the noodles seperate and viola` homemade soup in 10 minutes.

i have a question for this post..if using a pressure canner..what weight would be recommended and whats the process time?

Back
Top Bottom