lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
big_smile.png

Quote:

Mine are 4weeks old and have been handled pretty much since day 1. The only time they let me pick them up without a fuss is first thing in the morning when they know its time to take a ride in the big white basket and go outside. But if I have the audacity to put them back in the garage before dusk... jeez! You'd think I was trying to kill them or something!

I'm beginning to think chickens arent as stupid as people make them out to be!

I have three chicks so far. Out of all three of them there is one (Bo Peep) who behaves as though I'm trying to offer her arsenic every single time I go near her. The other two are just fine, and big snugglers. Treats are definitely the key. To whomever suggested blueberries, thanks! Off to try it right now!

All three of my Faverolles are happy to come take treats from my hand, peck at my toes, or sit at my feet and look up at me. When I pick them up to return them to their pen, however, they pitch fits. Then again, they all spent at least a week or two of their fluffybutthood having their bums rinsed in the bathroom sink and then greased up with Vaseline, so somewhere in their little chicken minds they probably consider being picked up by me to be on a par with being abducted by an alien bent on probing them.

I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow. Blueberries are now on my list!

We have 8 and they were born May 10 so they are still pullets. They HATE to be chased around (like most animals) so I just sit with them. Some will let me just pick them up to my lap (like a wine glass.....good description) but the Polish and the Brahma....no way. The Brahma is the worst and acts like you're taking her to the frying pan....lol.

Here they are all hiding...lol

5855094503_96ea20d9d6_b.jpg

Last edited:
My little girls (5weeks old) don't like me to pick them up either, but I'm pretty sure they are not stupid. I put a little drop of grapefruit seed oil in their water today. They stood way back in the coop like I was a stranger, but as soon as I closed the gate they ran over to the water to see what the "treat" was and took a drink.

My birds are livestock not pets but I have over 100 birds. They do follow me around and beg for treats and some will let me pick them up and others won't. If I really need to catch one and it doesn't want me to pick it up, I get my fish net and catch it. After I have caught it I will hold it for awhile and pet it until it calms down.

Meal worms are the key. My 4 1/2 week olds come running to me because of their addiction to meal worms. Warning...they can be an expensive habit.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom