Can't find Flock Raiser- Would "Scratch" be ok?

dgh1973

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
I have read alot of your posts on feeding chickens, but I'm hoping to get an answer to my dilemma. I have been feeding my chickens Flock Raiser for months now. All of the sudden our local feed store isn't carrying it anymore. I've called around to 3 other feed stores and so far only one is carrying it, but it's about a 45 min. drive for me. Our feed store said they do have chicken scratch. Would it hurt my chickens to suddenly change their feed? Also, does the scratch have enough nutrients in it to keep them healthy? The weather is changing here and getting cooler, I want to make sure my girls stay plump and healthy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Scratch lacks protien and is like a high sugar diet for humans. It is not a bad add on to the regular feed but they do need some sort of grower or layer ration. Which is best depends if they are layers, pre-layers or meat birds.

If all of your chickens are adults, you can give them laying pellets. If not, you can give them chick starter (non medicated) and supplement the egg layers with oyster shell. You may want to pick up some scratch while you are out there too. It is good for them in the winter.

No! Feeding chickens only scratch is like people eating only white bread. It does NOT contain enough nutrients. It's a treat food, not a complete food. If you can't find grower, how about layer?

Thank you all! I didn't think the scratch could be a complete diet for them. I don't know why feed stores just suddenly stop carrying chicken feed, it makes no sense!

Flock raiser is around 22-24% protein and had specifically formulated nutrients to help a person with a mixed flock supply appropriate feed to more than one type of poultry and several ages without any harm. It's more than enough protein for most adults, but still low enough in calcium for chicks, etc.

If your flock is over 16 weeks, you can move into a feed that's 16% or more for layers. You'll probably already offer oyster shell for your flock for the calcium they need, but if you don't, you'll need to do that.

If you have a mixed flock and want to have something more like Flock Raiser still, you can mix laying crumbles with gamebird STARTER (not maintenance) to up the protein and back down the calcium a tad.

Back
Top Bottom