Can't push in horizontal nipples into PVC pipe... help please!

There is no ball bearing as these are horizontal nipples. I checked it also before I threaded it and it was perfect.

Thanks for this post, just helped me finish my new waterer project. I tried a 3/8-20 tap first, but got better results and a tighter fit when I stepped up to a 7/16-14. Went in tight and seated all the way in. No leaks yet.

Last edited:
Okay, I was wrong. I only got a short amount of time out of the system before it started leaking. I had to cut the pipe out and start over. I went back to the 3/8-20 tap with no issues in 2 days. I will say that the nipples don't look like they go all of the way in, but they seal tight. Definitely need the finer thread (-20) over the more course threading (-14). The system I have set up is a 5 gallon bucket with a sink drain in the bottom tied directly into 1.5" PVC. The whole system after replacing the pipe with the newer threaded holes has been leak free for 2 days now. Thanks again for the post. Learned my lesson by trying to modify a proven design with a different size tap.

I put horizontal nipples into 1" PVC with similar issues. At the recommended hole size, I simply could not get the nipples to stay screwed in. I drilled it out just slightly larger, but this ended up being too large.

My solution was to add a small amount of epoxy to the threads of the nipple. I won't be able to get them out now, but they're in there securely and are perfectly leak free.

I put horizontal nipples into 1" PVC with similar issues. At the recommended hole size, I simply could not get the nipples to stay screwed in. I drilled it out just slightly larger, but this ended up being too large.

My solution was to add a small amount of epoxy to the threads of the nipple. I won't be able to get them out now, but they're in there securely and are perfectly leak free.
I've been reading all the various posts regarding having problems with the horizontal nipples when using 1-inch PVC pipe. The curvature of this small of a pipe won't allow the nipples to 'seat' correctly. If you go to a 1-1/2" pipe you might not experience the leaks...just thinkin'

The problem y'all are having here is that PVC is too hard of a material to self thread the HN in, it has little to do with the curvature of the pipe cross section.....
.....it works fine on softer materials like HDPE(5 gal buckets or various bottles and jugs) ....
but PVC is too hard a material for the HN to self thread and needs to have threads cut into a properly sized/drilled hole with a 1/8" NPT* tap.

Or you can buy fittings that already have 1/8 NPT threads in them...the HN's will fit perfectly into those.

*National Pipe Thread is a tapered thread...different than a straight thread that you see on your typical bolt.

Last edited:
One thing that I've found to help with the occasional leak from the nipple threads is cheap, run of the mill petroleum jelly. Just a dab smeared on the threads of the nipple will seal it up tight when screwed in. Doesn't break down from contact with water and easy enough to wipe-off/replace if need to replace the nipple.

Back
Top Bottom