Can't sell Quail,Pheasant, Turkeys and now ducks and geese in Florida?

bluere11e

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
West Palm Beach
Hi,
While volunteering at the So. Florida fair for the poultry club. a FWC warden came in and informed everyone that ALL barnyard fowl EXCEPT chickens, Pekin duck and Muscovies required a 50.00 annual game farm permit AND we couldn't sell any of these or eggs to anyone that they themselves didn't have a permit.
This includes all domesticated geese, ducks, quail, pheasant (peafowl too) and turkeys.
I've scoured the FWC website and see only things pertaining to Migratory birds. Not domesticated birds..
What about button quail and coturnix that they are selling locally to the public in feed stores and pet shops?
The same warden is supposed to come to our clubs March meeting and give us the state statutes and why it is. She did say something about barnyard ducks, geese and turkeys being allowed to run loose and breeding with native wildlife.. (jeez, My Embden certainly goes out of his way to find a "Florida goose.. are there any?)
My button quail would NEVER be able to catch any of our local Bob whites.. This is frustrating.
I'm thinking this is another ploy to get more money out of people that are daily losing more rights as we speak.
I understand that ifyou are breeding and selling quail, pheasant, peafowl, and migratory waterfowl, you have to have a game farm liscence..but to just buy one or a few? WTH?
somad.gif

Hmm, interesting. I'd definitely be sure that you get the full story from more than one trusted source.

I thought Muscovy were the only domestic bird that had been targeted as problematic when allowed to go wild, though I can see some issue with turkey in areas where wild flocks need protected.

Game licenses are needed in Ohio for pheasant, some varieties of quail like the bobwhite, Canadian geese, wild/native turkey, and partridge. But that is all about preserving pure native birds/flocks responsibly.

When I moved to Florida with my batch of coturnix I was told the same thing if I wanted to make a business out of it. Basically if you have 50 or more gamebirds, you need a game farm licence/permit which is $50 annually. FWC comes to your farm, inspects your cages. If you have cake buildup in the cage, you get a fine. They ask you what you are planning to do with your birds, sell eggs and birds in my case.

They then either give you a thumbs up or a citing. CBBQ (button quail) are fine. They are considered caged birds like finches. That's what my FWC officer told me.

Quote:
YOUR GAMEWARDEN IS WRONG AND FWC NEEDS TO BE CALLED AND THE SITUATION REPORTED IMMEDIATELY!--- CALL THE LAKELAND REGIONAL OFFICE 863-648-3200 AS THAT IS MISSION CONTROL FOR THE ORGANIZATION,,, FL REQUIREMENTS FOR GAME BIRDS--- ALL QUAIL, INCLUDING BUTTONS/ ALL COTURNIX SPECES(JAPANESE, AFRICAN HARLEQUIN, RAIN, BUSH, ETC..)/ ALL NEW WORLD QUAIL SPECES- BOBS VALLEYS, GAMBELS, MOUNTAINS, MEARNES, ELEGANT, SCALED, MASKED/ ALL PHEASANT SPECES/ ALL PARTRIDGE SPECES/ ALL GROUSE SPECES/ LESSER OR GREATER PRAIRIE CHICKENS/ALL MIGRATORY WATERFOWL= YOU MAY POSSES(NOT SELL- THATS FEDERAL) ----- YOU ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE UP TO AN AGREGATE TOTAL OF 50 OF ANY AND ALL SPECES (EXCEPT MALLARD DUCKS) AND DO NOT NEED A LICENCE TO POSESS/ BREED/ OR SELL. MALLARDS REQUIRE A GAME FARM LICENCE TO EVEN POSESS, LET ALONE BREED OR SELL. SALE OF OTHER MIGRATORY WATERFOWL COMES UNDER THE AUSPICES OF US FISH AND WILDLIFE AND REQUIRES SEPERATE PERMITTING

ORDINARILY I WOULD TELL YOU TO LOOK IT UP FOR YOURSELF RATHER THAN TAKE THE WORD OF A STRANGER ON THE INTERNET, BUT I AM IN FLORIDA AND STATE AND FEDERALLY LICENCED AND VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE STATE AND FEDERAL REGS. ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHATS LISTED HERE FEEL FREE TO PM ME AS I MAY HAVE MISSED SOMETHING OBSCURE??? YOUR GAME WARDEN IS INCORRECT AND THIS NEEDS TO BE REPORTED ASAP SO IT CAN BE RECTIFIED AND THE INDIVIDUAL TRAINED OR RETRAINED AS APPROPRIATE. THE ONLY LOOP HOLE THE LAW CLEARLY STATES FOR PERSONAL USE AND DOES NOT EXEMPT EXHIBITION. IT ALSO DOES NOT STATE ANYTHING ABOUT 1/2 OF THE SPECES LISTED IN YOUR POST... DOMESTIC TURKEY BREEDS ARE NOT RESTRICTED AS WELL AS DOMESTIC WATERFOWL OR PEAFOWL. A PERMIT IS NOT NEEDED FOR SALE OR PURCHASE OF MOST SPECES UNLESS YOU POSESS OVER 50 IN AGGREGATE. HERE'S THE LINK... http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm#game THE SECTION YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS "GAME MAMMALS AND BIRDS"

What are the requirements they look for when they come to inspect you. I do plan on having more than 50 quail at any given time so what is required. I have read the FWC regs. for Game Farms and it does not say what they are looking for or what the requirements are other than the game must be fenced in a way to prevent escape and entry of wild game. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hu.gif

Dan

They make sure your birds are in cages or pens, the pens are clean, the birds are clean. The pens are the minimum size required. And then the questions on what you are using the birds for.

Quote:
WELL NOW THAT IS THE $1.98 QUESTION OF THE DAY ISNT IT
smile.png

YOU WONT FIND ANY SPECS EITHER, NO MATTER WHERE YOU LOOK.... I WAS LED TO BELIEVE ITS THE INVESTIGATORS DISCRETIONARY JUDGEMENT AS TO WHETHER THEY FEEL YOUR ENCLOSURES ARE ADEQUATE IN DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, AND SPACE. LEAVES IT UP TO ALOT OF INTERPRETATION DOESNT IT? BASICALLY IF THE BIRDS CANT GET OUT, ARENT STANDING KNEE DEEP IN FECES, AND ARENT STANDING ON EACH OTHER'S HEADS --- CONGRADULATIONS! YOU'RE APPROVED! WHERE;S OUR MONEY?

Back
Top Bottom