Can't tell if they are hens or feminine roo's!

rebecca100

Songster
14 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Arkansas
Okay yesterday i had 15 6 mo old white rock st. run chickens given to me. I can tell that they are mostly roo's, but there are a couple in there that have the hen face, but more roo looking tails. They have smaller heads with small combs and wattles-like a hen. They also have two longer feathers that are slightly curved at the top of their tails and small, but roo-like saddle feathers. The big roos all have large combs and wattles and prominent saddle feathers. I can't post pics
sad.png
so I need some ideas on how to tell. The big roos also have small spurs starting. ( I would go by crowing-but half do that already and I can't be out there all the time to see which are doing it!)

put them in a separate area with a nestbox...if you get a present then you know you have a hen!
big_smile.png

I noticed when I had a huge group of roos some were more dominant, crowed and their combs redder....others were more wimpy...maybe separate off the obvious roos and see who puffs up and gets dominant?

why can't you post pics? if you don't know how, you have to go to upload on the menu bar. a picture would definitely help!

if the saddle feathers are pointed then i would suspect a roo also if the tail is pointed then probably roo but if they are 6 mouths old they should have already have developed big combs and wattles... i dunno what to say, roo?

I don't have a camera to take the pics! It was damaged and I haven't replaced it yet. I think I will seperate them and see what happens. I also put out laying mash for he ones who want it so maybe any hens will start to lay. I did notice too that there were some that were definately roos that were very timid. Oh well I guess time will tell! I guess that for free I shouldn't complain!

Back
Top Bottom