Can't tell the difference, can someone help??

pricefamily

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Roughly 3 weeks ago we bought some "chicks" at our local Tractor Supply....We are noticing that 7 of our "chicks" are HUGE compared to our regular chicks...To us they almost have a "turkey" look to them....Can someone help us figure out if they truly are a baby chick, or a baby turkey, and if they are a baby chick, then what kind could they be?

This isn't the best picture, but my other pic hasn't come through from my phone to my desktop email...As soon as it does I will upload it to this thread, in hopes I can find this thread again! LOL

Thanks for all the future help!

You didn't accidentally get broilers, did you? Broilers grow fast so you can eat them at about 8-10 weeks. That chick in the picture looks like a chicken, so I don't think you have surprise turkeys.

So far that is "good" news!! I wouldn't complain either way, other than the broiler part...Really wanted egg layers and not broilers...but we'll see where these lil' guys takes us...Our daughter is not going to be happy if we mention its a broiler and will need to put them in freezer camp when it's time...She wants all "her" birds to lay eggs and be her lifetime friends. (She's old enough to know, they don't last a "lifetime" on a farm...She understands things happen...but doesn't ease her pain any more)....

Oh, and also, :welcome! Forgot to say that in my first post :) Do you remember what they were labeled as when you picked them up? Too bad you don't have a closer-up picture.

Roughly 3 weeks ago we bought some "chicks" at our local Tractor Supply....We are noticing that 7 of our "chicks" are HUGE compared to our regular chicks...To us they almost have a "turkey" look to them....Can someone help us figure out if they truly are a baby chick, or a baby turkey, and if they are a baby chick, then what kind could they be?

This isn't the best picture, but my other pic hasn't come through from my phone to my desktop email...As soon as it does I will upload it to this thread, in hopes I can find this thread again! LOL

Thanks for all the future help!
That is definitely a chicken. If you enlarge the image it is very easy to see the comb.

This is a turkey poult. While still very small it is easy to see the snood on the turkey even from the day they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom