cant we get this right?????

You'll have to correct your post that is off. Or build it as is with custom lengths. It's easier to attach top rail before you finish setting next post. Start plumb with first post, measure many times while setting second and use top rail to square it before filling in the hole. It's like installing a fence, you use the fence to square up the next post before finishing concrete or packing in hole.

I look at it this way. if you don't tell the chicken that it's a little out of square, they are just not going to know. And anyone you tell that it's out of square, tell them not to tell the chickens. My pen is so out of square I'm ashamded. But everyone that's looked at it says, "Oh you did such a great job!" I just laugh to my self.

Last edited:
Um, I think it's the rule of 5? Where, if you go one way 3 feet, and the other way 4 feet, if the diagonal between the end points measure 5, then your 3' and 4' lines are square.

Edited to correct the math.

Last edited:
Use the pythagorean principle. a squared + b squared = c squared. To get the diagonal just take square root of a squared + b squared.

Doing this gives you 14' 1-11/16" for the diagonal measurement.

Trigonometry will also give the diagonal. You would have to use the tangent function and either 30 degrees or 60 degrees.

Good luck with your build.
thumbsup.gif

Use the pythagorean principle. a squared + b squared = c squared. To get the diagonal just take square root of a squared + b squared.

Doing this gives you 14' 1-11/16" for the diagonal measurement.

Trigonometry will also give the diagonal. You would have to use the tangent function and either 30 degrees or 60 degrees.

Good luck with your build.
thumbsup.gif

And you thought you would never use this stuff once you left high school!!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

It sounds like the upright poles are either out of plumb or at different heights. Unless the ground is perfectly level you will have to cheat a little somewhere. First adjust the depth of the post holes to get the tops level (a string and level can help with this) then plumb them up with a level or plumb bob. The top rails should be very close to perfect if the distance between poles was correct when you made the holes. If you use a bottom rail you will have to adjust this to match the terrain. good luck with it. Don't go crazy with it. If its not a perfect square it will be fine still.

Don't worry about pole height. And the poles need to be buried below frost depth and to deep enough to provide stability. Trim the tops off to length AFTER establishing your roof line.

Last edited:
Well... I don't know bout no Pythagoreaneaneanean thingamabob, but a come a lond might just yank that unsquare pole plumb back in place.....

A come-a-long would work perfectly in this situation. Then just use your diagonal measurement so you know how far to go.
wink.png

do a search on framing or go to the library and find a builders guide. making something square is simple if you do some measuring and assure certain conditions exist. I don't mean to sound condescending. If your going 10x10 and plan to expand it important to make sure things are square and that your focusing on making sure that happens increases your possibilities of ending up with a nice construction.

Its all simple but if your not familiar with such things it can be horribly frustrating. Take your time. a 10 x 10 square should have a diagonal of 14' 1/8 " center to center of each hole or corner post. dig your holes and center the posts. make sure they are straight up and down and square in the hols You need a level and some string and some stakes and some cement to set your posts.

Draw yourself a blueprint (sketch), do your math (simple math),

How are you going to side it? Paneling? Make sure you are using treated lumber post, framing and paneling. If your going 10 x 10 your going to have to consider how much waste you will have. 10 x 10 is somewhat of a hard dimension to work around if your going to use 4 x 8 sheets of panels to side with, How tall are you building. I suggest using a dimension of 8 x 8 x 8 and you will save on materials and its builds easier for a beginner.

If you decide you are going with 8 x 8 your diagonals should be 11 4" to check your squareness.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom