1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cape Cod Chicken Wrangler

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sharonlacouture, Apr 14, 2012.

1. sharonlacouture

sharonlacouture Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    ... not really, but I thought that might get your attention. LOL

My name is Sharon, I live on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
    We have a small[ish] 3/4 acre lot in town, we have a nice garden and raise a lot of our own produce, although we are limited to a shorter growing season because we live in new England.
    We have 5 Barred Plymouth Rock hens. I get 5 eggs a day. My girls are happy and healthy. We converted an old shed into a coop with 5 nesting boxes, a heated waterer, feeder and roost. They have a nice fenced yard and eat everything that is cleared from my garden, as well as scraps from produce that we use. They LOVE tomatoes! And spinach and kale!
    Our most common predators are raccoons. I have tree-d a few and scared them off, but they are persistent and usually return within a few days. We have to deal with mice, squirrels, chipmunks etc. who like to sneak in and feed on the chicken pellets. But we live in an area that is abundant with wildlife, so it is par for the course.
    Once in a while we spot a fox or coyote, but so far they haven't bothered the girls.

I am interested in introducing a few guinea fowl to my yard. I hear they are very good at slug and tick control. I have an ongoing issue with slugs eating my squash plants and I do not like to use chemicals on my produce, so I am researching a natural approach to insect control.
    Any thoughts you'd like to share are most welcome.

My partner John is a commercial shellfisherman [for 38 years now] while he is busy fishing and making a living, I am at home 'wrangling my chickens', tending my garden and I make gorgeous dichroic glass and sea glass jewelry. I am also a published author and have been considering writing a book on backyard gardening and small scale farming.

Thank you for letting me join your group, I am happy to be here. : )

~Sharon

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Wow neat introduction....Glad you joined us. Enjoy the site

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC, Sharon!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

5. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    You will love BYC!!!!!! So Welcome! [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. omelette77

omelette77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Cape Cod
    Welcome to BYC from a fellow Cape Codder, Marstons Mills. We're just starting out, in the process of coop building as we speak. We have 9, 1 week old chicks, various breeds, and 5 Silkies which are about 4 weeks old. One of which is a rooster. He's pretty comical.

Well, we're out the door to build a floor. Talk to you soon.

Bob and Rose

1 person likes this.
  10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by