Cape Town, South Africa

Pics

BoereMeisie

Cape Town Farm Girl
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Atlantis, South Africa
A thread for all from Cape Town! The aim here is to get Capetonians together to share info and of course talk about our chickens! Are you a "chicken person" in or around Cape Town? Feel free to introduce yourself and join in the fun!
cool.png

Last edited:
Hi,

Well done for starting this thread. There's a serious lack of on-line presence of "chicken people".

I'm a newbie both to this site and to chickens but learning fast and enjoying it.

Hopefully this is the start of something great and meaningful.

Good 'Cluck!

Hi Wannabyte!

welcome-byc.gif
and to chicken keeping! Thanks for joining the thread. I hope we can get a lot of Capetonians together to share knowledge and get to know one another
smile.png

Good morning,
I'm in the U.S but need some help from you all.... anyone know any breeders for gamebird hatching eggs. I'm trying to start a farm on the coast of Kenya, I got quail but trying to get partridge, peacock and pheasant and I can't get anyone here exporting...they say there is a lot of hustle or red tape. I came across some farmers in SA who do...but I can't seem to get anywhere from there...tried the chamber of commerce. Anyone in a position to assist?

Peter Mwashimba
[email protected]

Thanks, Esti..my appreciation I will try the link. I posted on the main board before this one. I just saw the one from a south african and thought to try it out. So I thank you for getting back to me. I will keep trying until I get someone. Please have a really nice day!

Thanks
Peter

Hi
I live in the Karoo, near Barrydale and im also new to chickens. I would like to get more chickens, but it is not easy as most breeders live in Joburg area. i have Potch Koekoeks and Rhode Island Reds. At the moment I also have broilers, but it is not so easy to bring them up in this heat.

Hi LeopardRock, and Welcome!
smile.png
Which breeds are you interested in? I had a Rhode Island Red pair myself, but the Rooster was so mean that he ended up in the pot. I still have the hen and two of the pair's chicks (4 weeks old - looks like Roosters). I also have a Blue Orpington trio, some Silkies and currently I have 9 Light Sussex eggs in the incubator. I'm planning on focusing my efforts on the Light Sussex, so will be phasing most other breeds out except for the Silkies, which go broody often and sit on a nest to hatch eggs and raise chicks naturally.

Thank you. Nice to have someone in the WEstern Cape to chat chickens! We received 6 Rhode I Reds roosters and 15 hens last week, aged about 18 weeks. But the roosters are so mean and aggressive we had to separate them yesterday. We got them from a friend as he ordered too many and he phoned us last night to say that one of his roosters killed a hen. I will never get the RIR roosters again! I am new to chickens, but we would love to get different breeds as we have the space and facilities for them. We will keep the RIR hens, not sure what we are going to do with the roosters.
I love my Koekoeks but we will have to sell some of the roosters as we have 17 of them!!! They are beautiful and great personalities. I brought them up (from aged 2 weeks) as hens so we think they are a bit "feminine" :)
I am leaning towards Australorps, Brahma or Vendas and I also like Sussex, apparently Orpingtons don't do well in heat??. What is the difference between sussex and light sussex.

Back
Top Bottom